BOISE, Idaho - The Boise State University men’s tennis team improved to 21-5 and earned its fifth consecutive victory as the team defeated Georgia State 4-3, to capture the Boise State Red Lion Spring Break Invitational Championship, Saturday, at the Appleton Tennis Center.
"There is nothing like having the spotlight on you when you throw the party," said head coach Greg Patton. "I was really proud of the guys and how they put it together to defeat Georgia State."
Nothing came easy for the Broncos today as they had to fight and battle for every point against a Georgia State squad which had not dropped a match en route to the championship match. Boise State would hand the Panthers their first defeat of the day in doubles.
Piotr Dilaj and Luke Shields came out firing as they made quick work of Mattias Skold and Martin Stiegwardt at No. 1 doubles, 8-2. Clancy Shields and Steve Robertson then handed Anze Cevka and Nejc Podkrajsek an 8-6 defeat at No. 2 doubles to capture the doubles point for Boise State.
The match then turned to singles with the broncos leading 1-0.
Robertson captured the first singles point of the match for Boise State as he defeated Cevka in the No. 5 position 6-1 and 6-4.
Luke Shields dominated at No. 1 singles as he beat Stiegwardt 6-1 and 6-2 to give extend his winning-streak to eight straight matches and improve to 19-3.
Roberson provided the clinching match point as he defeated Daniel Balog at No. 6 singles, 6-3 and 6-4, to give the Broncos their fourth victory in as many days.
Other Boise State participants included Clancy Shields who lost to Podkrajsek at No. 2 singles 7-6 and 6-3, Dilaj who fell to Arango 6-3 and 6-2, and Boswell who dropped his match to Skold 3-6, 7-6 and 10-4.
Next Boise State will play in a double-dual match against Loyola Marymount (5:00 p.m.) and Montana State (10:00 a.m.), Apr. 7, at the Appleton Tennis Center at Boise, Idaho.
Tennis Match Results
Boise State vs. Georgia State
3/31/2007 at Boise, Idaho
Boise state 4, Georgia state 3
1. Luke Shields (BSU) def. Martin Stiegwardt (GSU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Nejc Podkrajsek (GSU) def. Clancy Shields (BSU), 7-6, 6-3
3. Andres Arango (GSU) def. Blake Boswell (BSU), 3-6, 7-6, 10-4
4. Mattias Skold (GSU) def. Piotr Dilaj (BSU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Steve Robertson (BSU) def. Anze Cevka (GSU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Eric Roberson (BSU) def. Daniel Balog (GSU), 6-3, 6-4
1. Luke Shields/Piotr Dilaj (BSU) def. Martin Stiegwardt/Mattias Skold (GSU), 8-2
2. Clancy Shields/Steve Robertson (BSU) def. Nejc Podkrajsek/Anze Cevka (GSU), 8-6
3. Andres Arango/ Augusto Alvarado (GSU) def. Blake Boswell/Eric Roberson (BSU), 9-7
Boise State record: 21-5
Georgia State record: 13-4
Final day of Boise State Red Lion Spring Break Tournament
Championship match, played at Appleton Tennis Center.