Men's Tennis Starts Conference Play with 6-1 Win
BOISE, Idaho - The No. 37 Boise State men's tennis team started the its first conference match in the Mountain West on a good note, defeating San Diego State 6-1 at the Boas Tennis Center, Thursday.
The Broncos (17-6, 1-0 MW) started the match with two wins in doubles play to earn the point. The teams of James Meredith/Nathan Sereke and Damian Hume/ Scott Sears each defeated their opponent's 8-5 while the third team of Filipp Pogostkin/Andy Bettles fell in a tiebreaker. That point started has been crucial and indicative of the team's success this season, which is 14-0 when winning the opening point.
From there, Boise State cruised in by winning the first four singles matches. Sereke finished first with a 6-3, 6-1 defeat of Hunter Nicholas to improve his individual singles record to 14-3 this spring.
No. 56 Meredith, the reigning conference player of the week, finished soon after Sereke by putting together a strong performance to defeat a ranked opponent in No. 104 Javier Pulgar, 6-2, 6-2.
Hume entered his match at the No. 2 position with a ranking of 63rd in the nation and an 11-1 record. The senior took control of the match by jumping out to leads at the beginning of both sets, defeating Thorsten Bertsch 6-3, 6-4.
The final two wins for the Orange and Blue came from Pogostkin and Bettles who each closed out there matches in straight sets, but being pushed to win a seventh game in their first and second sets, respectively.
The Broncos are now 14-0 at home this season and carry a 21-match home winning streak into Saturday's contest against rival Fresno State, which is ranked 26th in the nation, currently the highest ranked opponent remaining on the men's schedule. The match will start at 11 a.m. and will be played outdoors at Appleton Tennis Center, weather permitting.
No. 37 Boise State 6, No. 48 San Diego State 1
1. No. 56 James Meredith (BSU) def. No. 104 Javier Pulgar (SDSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 63 Damian Hume (BSU) def. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Rickey Baylon (SDSU) def. Garrett Patton (BSU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
1. James Meredith/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Nicholas/Pulgar (SDSU) 8-5
2. Damian Hume/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Siddiqui/Bertsch (SDSU) 8-5
3. Baylon/Simon (SDSU) def. Andrew Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 8-7 (7-5)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3) Singles (4,1,2,5,6,3)
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
- Chairback Rentals
- Bronco Athletic Association
- BAA Home
- Bronco Luncheon Series
- Varsity B
- Boise State Hall of Fame
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE