Broncos to meet Vandals for Spring Break Classic Championship
BOISE, Idaho - Home has proved to be a comforting place for the Boise State men's tennis team in 2010. Despite spending most of the first few months of the season on the road, the Broncos entered this weekend with a perfect 4-0 record in Boise. Following a pair of big wins on Saturday (March 27) at the Boise State Spring Break Classic presented by SpringHill Suites Parkcenter, the Broncos have shown they are simply tough to beat at home.
Boise State opened up their annual Spring Break Tournament with a pair of shutouts against Portland (6-0) and No. 71 Purdue (7-0), Saturday, to earn a spot in Sunday's championship match. The Broncos went 12-for-12 in singles competition and lost just one doubles match all day to punch their title round ticket. In doing so, Boise State set up a highly anticipated rematch with No. 63 ranked Idaho for the tournament championship.
The Broncos and Vandals will meet for the second time in four days on Sunday, giving an encore to Boise State's exciting 4-3 win over Idaho on Thursday (March 25). The Broncos mounted a big rally in singles play and finally secured the victory with a third-set win by Boise State senior Harry Skinner in the final match of the dual.
Since that Thursday afternoon thriller the Broncos have been on fire, starting with a 6-1 win over No. 47 UC Irvine, Thursday night. They carried that momentum into Saturday's competition earning a 6-0 win over Portland in the first round of the tournament. The Broncos won four singles matches in straight sets to put the dual out of reach early.
Boise State kept things rolling in their Saturday evening dual, racing past No. 71 Purdue by winning the doubles point and sweeping all six singles matches. After splitting at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, Jeff Mullen and Erik Sheldon scored a 9-8 (7-0) win over Paul Foley and Matt Mannasse at No. 3 to give the Broncos the 1-0 advantage heading into singles. Boise State never looked back from there, winning five matches in straight sets to put away the Boilermakers.
With their two wins on Saturday, the Broncos have now won six straight duals over the past two weeks. Boise State will look to use its current momentum to earn a regular season sweep against the Vandals on Sunday. The championship match is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. It will be held at the Appleton Tennis Center at Boise State University.
#52 Boise State University 6, University of Portland 0
1. #41 James Meredith (BSU) def. Filip Zivkovic (UP) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
2. Vicente Joli (BSU) def. Bryan Thorp (UP) 6-3, 6-0
3. Harry Skinner (BSU) def. Geoff Hernandez (UP) 6-2, 6-2
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Evan Schleining (UP) 6-1, 6-1
5. Alex Bothe (BSU) def. Daniel Coelho (UP) 6-4, 6-3
6. Freddy Walsh (BSU) def. Jackson Martin (UP) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
Doubles competition: Not Played
University of Portland 8-4
Boise State University 11-6, 2-1; National ranking #52
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (4,3,2,5,1,6)
Singles played first, no doubles played after Boise State swept singles matches.
#52 Boise State University 7, #71 Purdue 0
1. #41 James Meredith (BSU) def. Slavko Bijelica (PUR) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Vicente Joli (BSU) def. Branko Kuzmanovic (PUR) 6-1, 6-3
3. Harry Skinner (BSU) def. P.J. Rose (PUR) 6-4, 6-3
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Eric Ramos (PUR) 6-4, 6-2
5. Alex Bothe (BSU) def. Billy Heuer (PUR) 6-3, 6-4
6. Freddy Walsh (BSU) def. Paul Foley (PUR) 6-2, 6-2
1. Slavko Bijelica/Branko Kuzmanovic (PUR) def. James Meredith/Alex Bothe (BSU) 8-6
2. Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Eric Ramos/P.J. Rose (PUR) 8-3
3. Jeff Mullen/Erik Sheldon (BSU) def. Paul Foley/Matt Mannasse (PUR) 9-8 (7-0)
Purdue 10-6; National ranking #71
Boise State University 12-6, 2-1; National ranking #52
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,5,6,3,1)
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- Bowl Tickets
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Buy/Sell Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
- Bronco Athletic Association
- BAA Home
- Bronco Luncheon Series
- Varsity B
- Boise State Hall of Fame
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE