BOISE, Idaho - Boise State's BOAS Indoor Tennis Center was electric, Thursday afternoon (March 25), as Boise State senior Harry Skinner capped off an exciting 4-3 comeback win over in-state rival University of Idaho in the first of two duals for the Broncos today.
Skinner fought to a third set win in the final match of the dual to push Boise State past the Vandals for their second Western Athletic Conference win of the season (2-1). The No. 52 ranked Broncos were in need of a big comeback after dropping the doubles point to No. 63 Idaho. After splitting at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, Idaho's Lachlan Reed and Adrian Simon managed a 9-8 (6) win over Alex Bothe and James Meredith for the early 1-0 advantage.
Facing the deficit heading into singles Boise State was in need of four wins to fend off the Vandals. After earning wins from Vicente Joli at No. 2, Filipp Pogostkin at No. 4 and No. 41 James Meredith at No. 1, the Broncos were within striking distance. Losses at No. 5 and No. 6, however, put the dual squarely on the final match between Skinner and Simon.
Simon took an early lead over Skinner, winning the first set 6-4. Skinner fought back in the second to even things at 6-6 and force a second set tie breaker. He exploded in the tie breaker, 7-1, to force the final and deciding set.
With momentum on his side Skinner kept attacking, gaining an early 2-0 lead in the third. Simon would answer and eventually tie the third set back up at 3-3, but that would be as close as he would get to the win. Skinner would go on to win the next three points to win the match, 4-6, 7-6 (7-1), 6-3, and give Boise State the 4-3 win.
The Broncos, who will turn around and face No. 47 UC Irvine at 5 p.m. tonight, improve to 9-6 on the season. Boise State enters an action packed weekend in which they will host the annual Spring Break Classic presented by SpringHill Suites Parkcenter, Saturday-Sunday (March 27-28). Visit broncosports.com for a complete schedule of this weekend's duals.
#52 Boise State University 4, #63 University of Idaho 3
1. #41 James Meredith (BSU) def. Lachlan Reed (UI) 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
2. Vicente Joli (BSU) def. Artem Kuznetson (UI) 6-0, 6-2
3. Harry Skinner (BSU) def. Adrian Simon (UI) 4-6, 7-6 (7-1), 6-3
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Stas Glukov (UI) 6-3, 6-3
5. Alex Joitiou (UI) def. Alex Bothe (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Abid Akbar (UI) def. Cristian Hodel (BSU) 7-6 (4-0), 6-3
1. Lachlan Reed/Adrian Simon (UI) def. James Meredith/Alex Bothe (BSU) 9-8 (6-0)
2. Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Alex Joitiou/Artem Kuznetson (UI) 8-2
3. Abid Akbar/Stas Glukov (UI) def. Jeff Mullen/Harry Skinner (BSU) 8-4
University of Idaho 14-5, 1-3; National ranking #63
Boise State University 9-6, 2-1; National ranking #52
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,4,5,6,1,3)