Broncos Roll During First Day of Spring Break Classic, Advance to Championship
BOISE, Idaho - The Boise State men's tennis team was in top form, Friday, as they earned wins against Ball State (5-1) and Southern Mississippi (6-1) to set their place in the championship match of the 2012 Boise State Spring Break Classic presented by Springhill Suites.
The Broncos are now 12-0 at home this season and ride an 18-match home winning streak stemming back to last season.
Despite a weather delay during in the middle of their opening match against Ball State, the Broncos were not phased, and powered to a 5-1 win against the Cardinals. The two sides played singles matches first with doubles to be played only if necessary.
James Meredith led the squad with an impressive performance on court one, defeating his opponent 6-0, 6-2 to notch the first point of the match. After that, Damian Hume, Andy Bettles and Filipp Pogostkin each picked up straight-set victories to reach the four-point mark and secure the victory.
Boise State 5, Ball State 1
1. James Meredith (BOISE) def. Dalton Albertin (BSU), 6-0, 6-2
2. Damian Hume (BOISE) def. Ray Leonard (BSU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Andy Bettles (BOISE) def. Zane Smith (BSU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BOISE) def. Alexandre Brym (BSU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Garrett Patton (BOISE) def. Austin Smith (BSU), 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Patrick Elliot (BSU) def. Scott Sears (BOISE), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 2, 3, 4, 5
The Broncos came out even stronger in their afternoon match, sweeping the Golden Eagles for the doubles point. The duo of Hume/Sears finished first with an 8-0 win while Bettles/Pogostkin were close behind with an 8-1 victory. Erik Sheldon/Meredith completed the trifecta with an 8-5 win.
The momentum and dominance continued into singles action. Damian Hume and Andy Bettles reigned supreme at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots respectively, with each shutting out their opponents 6-0, 6-0. Hume's win put the senior at 10-0 this season since returning to the lineup.
Meredith gave up only one game per set at the No. 1 slot against Paulo Alvarado. Meredith is 10-7 at the top spot for the Broncos this season.
Pogostkin picked up his second win of the day with a 6-1, 6-2 decision while Sears notched his first, 6-3, 6-2.
The Broncos will face No. 73 UAB in the tournament finale at the Appleton Tennis Complex, Saturday, at 1:30 p.m.
Boise State 6, Southern Mississippi 1
1. Hume/Sears (BSU) def. Belloso/Escobar (USM), 8-0
2. Bettles/Pogostkin (BSU) def. Alvarado/Zeljkovic (USM), 8-1
3. Erik Sheldon/Meredith (BSU) def. Elortegui/Goodwin (USM), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. James Meredith (BSU) def. Paulo Alvarado (USM), 6-1, 6-1
2. Damian Hume (BSU) def. Inaki Belloso (USM), 6-0, 6-0
3. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Juan Escobar (USM), 6-0, 6-0
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (USM), 6-1, 6-2
5. Andrew Goodwin (USM) def. Garrett Patton (BSU), 3-6, 6-4, 10-5
6. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Michael Elortegui (USM), 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1, 6, 4, 5
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- About Us
- Athletic Director
- Mission Statement
- Broadway Bridge Project Map
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- Bowl Tickets
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
- Bronco Athletic Association
- BAA Home
- Bronco Luncheon Series
- Varsity B
- Boise State Hall of Fame
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE