BOISE, Idaho - The No. 59 ranked Boise State men's tennis team suffered its first Western Athletic Conference loss of the 2011 season, Sunday (March 20) morning, as the Broncos dropped a 4-3 dual against in-state rival Idaho to fall to 1-1 in WAC competition this spring.
Boise State (7-10 overall) began its dual against the Vandals (9-3, 1-0) on Saturday with doubles competition being played at the BOAS Indoor Tennis Complex. Idaho took an early 1-0 advantage in the dual after winning two of three doubles matches against the Broncos. The two teams met again on Sunday to finish off the conference competition with six singles matches to decide the winner.
Boise State managed to even the team score at 1-1 early on in singles competition as Andy Bettles knocked off Abid Akbar, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 4. Idaho would recapture the lead almost immediately however, winning at No. 2 to push the dual score to 2-1.
Damian Hume, who is currently ranked No. 89 nationally in singles, helped the Broncos keep pace with a big 6-3, 6-2 win over Marius Cirstea at No. 1 to even the score once again at 2-2.
Idaho quickly seized the momentum again with a win at No. 6 as Nathan Sereke lost a hard fought third set match, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2, to Alan Shin. The Vandals then were able to score another third set grinder at No. 5 to capture the team win, as Jose Bendeck beat Jeff Mullen, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Boise State would score a win in the last singles match of the day to narrow the final team score to 4-3, as Scott Sears beat Alexandru Joitoiu, 7-6, 1-6, 7-6 (8-6), at No. 3.
The Broncos will look to rebound from their Sunday morning loss this afternoon when they conclude their busy weekend with a match against San Francisco. Boise State will face the Dons at 2 p.m.
1. #89 Damian Hume (BSU) def. Marius Cirstea (UI) 6-3, 6-2
2. Lachlan Reed (UI) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 6-3, 5-3
3. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Alexandru Joitoiu (UI) 7-6, 1-6, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. Abid Akbar (UI) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jose Bendeck (UI) def. Jeff Mullen (BSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Alan Shin (UI) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1, 6, 5, 3
DOUBLES (Saturday - 03/20/11)
1. Marius Cirstea/Alexandru Joitoiu def. #75 Scott Sears/Damian Hume (BSU) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Lachlan Reed/Jose Bendeck (UI) def. Jeff Mullen/Erik Sheldon (BSU) 8-6
3. Filipp Pogostkin/Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Abid Akbar/Jake Knox (UI) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1