The match began with doubles where Luke Shields and Piotr Dilaj defeated Mathieu Thibaudeau and Dan Buikema 8-5. After Blake Boswell and Eric Roberson dropped their set to Sammy Struyf and Javier Bes 8-5, the doubles point came down to No. 2 doubles. Clancy Shields and Steve Robertson battled Saketh Mynei and Joseph Jung to a tiebreaker but in the end the duo from
With the conclusion of doubles, the match moved to singles where
Luke Shields recorded a convincing 6-1 and 6-2 victory over Struyf in the first position as he improved to 15-3 in dual match play this season.
Steve Robertson posted his ninth win in 10 tries as he knocked off Bes in straight sets 6-4 and 6-4.
“We are playing the best teams in the country toe-to-toe,” said head coach Greg Patton. “I believe that these matches are making us a better team.”
1. Luke Shields d. Sammy Struyf, 6-1, 6-2
2. Joseph Jung d. Clancy Shields, 7-6, 7-5
3. Piotr Dilaj and Billy Mertz, 6-2, 1-6, 5-4, DNF
4. Steve Robertson d. Billy Bes, 6-4, 6-4
5. Mathieu Thibaudeau d. Blake Boswell, 7-5, 6-4
6. Dan Buikema d. Eric Roberson, 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
1. Dilaj/L. Shields d. Thibaudeau/Buikema, 8-5
2. Jung/Myneni d. Robertson/C. Shields, 9-8
3. Struyf/Bes d. Boswell/Roberson, 8-5