The Broncos started off with wins in two of the three doubles matches, clinching the doubles point. In the No. 1 doubles match No. 41 ranked Luke Shields and Clancy Shields teamed together to defeat Andrei Daescu and Federico Chavarria, 8-6. The Broncos’ Paul Koenke and Eric Roberson topped Ionut Beleleu and Ryan Thomas, 8-4, in the No. 2 doubles match. In the No. 3 match,
At the No. 2 singles slot, No. 55 Clancy Shields defeated Beleleu in a quick 6-2, 6-1 match earning one point for the Broncos. Dilaj followed suit in the No. 4 spot topping Alexandru Joitoiu 6-3, 6-3 while Robertson defeated Marinescu 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 5 spot to seal the Bronco victory.
OU’s Chavarria earned the only win for the Sooners, defeating Koenke 6-2, 6-1 in the No. 6 singles match.
The No. 1 singles match between No. 59 Luke Shields and Daescu ended unfinished with Daescu ahead 6-3, 3-1 while
The Broncos will continue on to the quarterfinals on Friday, March 14 where they will face No. 65 Penn State who upset No. 21 Alabama in their first round match on Thursday. The match between the Broncos and Nittany Lions is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. Eastern Time.
Blue Gray Classic
- #41 Luke Shields/Clancy Shields (BSU) def. Andrei Daescu/Federico Chavarria (OU), 8-6
- Paul Koenke/Eric Roberson (BSU) def. Ionut Beleleu/Ryan Thomas (OU), 8-4
- Sergey Avdeyev/Vlad Marinescu (OU) def. Piotr Dilaj/Steve Robertson (BSU), 8-6
- Daescu (OU) vs. #59 L. Shields (BSU), 6-3, 3-1 Did Not Finish
- #55 C. Shields (BSU) def. Beleleu (OU), 6-2, 6-1
- Werbeck (BSU) vs. Avdeyev (OU), 5-1 Did Not Finish
- Dilaj (BSU) def. Alexandru Joitoiu (OU), 6-3, 6-3
- Robertson (BSU) def. Marinescu (OU), 6-0, 6-1
- Chavarria (OU) def. Koenke (BSU), 6-2, 6-1