BOISE, Idaho - The Boise State men's tennis team (12-5) pulled off a weekend sweep of Montana and No. 56 Cal Poly this weekend. The Broncos swept the Grizzlies in doubles, Friday afternoon before finishing off the 7-0 victory Saturday Morning. It was not long before the Orange and Blue returned to the courts, taking down the Mustangs 5-2, Saturday afternoon.
Boise State 7, Montana 0
March 9-10, 2012
After winning all three doubles matches by four games or more, the Broncos won 12 of 13 singles sets to pin down the Grizzlies, 7-0. No. 59-ranked Damian Hume played at the top spot for the Broncos, defeating Carl Kuschke 4-6, 7-5, 10-4. The match was Hume's first as Boise State' No. 1 this season.
Scott Sears blanked Cody Kohlmoos at the No. 6 position, winning the match without giving up a single game.
Filipp Pogostkin played at No. 4 for the Broncos, his highest position of the season. The junior took down Ethan Vaughn in straight sets 6-4, 6-0.
1. Meredith/Sereke (BSU) def. Warren/Vaughn (UM), 8-4
2. Bettles/Pogostkin (BSU) def. DeMarois/Kuschke (UM), 8-2
3. Reid/Sheldon (BSU) def. Facey/Kohlmoos (UM), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. No. 59 Damian Hume (BSU) def. Carl Kuschke (UM), 4-6, 7-5, 10-4
2. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Andrew Warren (UM), 6-2, 6-1
3. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Michael Facey (UM), 6-4, 6-3
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Ethan Vaughn (UM), 6-4, 6-0
5. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Andreas Luczak (UM), 6-0, 6-2
6. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Cody Kohlmoos (UM), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 2, 4, 3, 1
Boise State 5, Cal Poly 2
March 10, 2012
The Broncos' win against No. 56 Cal Poly did not start as well as it finished as Boise State dropped the doubles point, 2-1. Coming into the match, the Broncos were 0-5 when losing the doubles point and 11-0 when winning it.
That stat would change as the Orange and Blue took charge during singles action but not before No. 60 James Meredith fell to No. 25 Andre Dome on court one, putting the team in an 0-2 hole.
The Broncos would rally to not lose another point, headed by Damian Hume at the No. 2 spot who defeated Brian McPhee in three sets. Hume is a perfect 7-0 so far this season.
While not quite perfect, Nathan Sereke does own the title for most singles wins this spring, with 12. The sophomore is 10-1, with a 4-0 record at the No. 4 position where he earned two wins during the weekend.
Andy Bettles, Filipp Pogostkin and Scott Sears each helped Boise State to victory with wins at the No. 3, 5 and six places, respectively. Each won their matches in straight sets.
The win was the team's sixth against a ranked opponent this season.
The men's squad will be back in action next weekend when they host Arizona, Friday, March 16 at 2 p.m.
1 Andre Dome/Matt Fawcett (CP) def. James Meredith/Nathan Sereke (BSU) 8-6
2 Jordan Bridge/Brian McPhee (CP) def. Damian Hume/Scott Sears (BSU) 8-6
3 Andy Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Marco Comuzzo/Jurgen De Jager (CP) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Andre Dome (No. 25) (CP) def. James Meredith (No. 60) (BSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Damian Hume (No. 59) (BSU) def. Brian McPhee (CP) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Jordan Bridge (CP) 7-5, 6-1
4. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Marco Cozummo (CP) 6-2, 6-4
5. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Jurgen DeJager (CP) 6-3, 6-2
6. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Sebastian Bell (CP) 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 3, 4, 5, 2