BOISE, Idaho - The No. 66 ranked Boise State men's tennis team made quick work of its' non-conference dual against the College of Idaho, Wednesday (March 10) afternoon, as the Broncos rolled past the Coyotes 7-0 at the Appleton Tennis Center.
Boise State swept all three doubles matches and did not lose a singles set en route to keeping its' home record perfect at 4-0. The Broncos jumped out strong, as Freddy Walsh and Harry Skinner earned the first win of the day over Joel Hernandez and Thomas McMahon, 8-1, in the No. 3 doubles match.
James Meredith and Erik Sheldon secured the doubles point with an 8-1 win over Mark Malmstrom and Max Nguyen at No. 1. Boise State completed its' doubles sweep as Michael Gilliland and Nick Gourley beat Chen Simpson and Jaron Tietsort, 8-3, in the No. 2 match.
Singles wouldn't get any better for the Yotes, as Boise State would drop just six total sets in six matches. Gourley and Gilliland opened singles up with a pair of shutout wins for the Broncos, as Gourley beat James Collett 6-0, 6-0 and Gilliland beat Hernandez 6-0, 6-0.
They were followed by Walsh, who knocked off Tietsort in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1. Skinner earned the next win for Boise State as he beat Malmstrom 6-0, 6-1. No. 36 ranked Meredith followed suit with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Simpson at No. 1.
Sheldon completed the perfect day for the Broncos at No. 3, as he beat Nguyen 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 3 singles match.
With the win, Boise State improves to 5-4 overall this spring, including a 1-0 record against Western Athletic Conference opponents. The Broncos hit the road this weekend to face a pair of duals in San Diego, Calif. Boise State will meet San Diego State at 11 a.m. (PST) on Saturday (March 13), before squaring off with the University of San Diego on Sunday at 12 p.m.
#66 Boise State University 7, College of Idaho 0
1. #36 James Meredith (BSU) def. Chen Simpson (CI) 6-1, 6-1
2. Harry Skinner (BSU) def. Mark Malmstrom (CI) 6-0, 6-1
3. Erik Sheldon (BSU) def. Max Nguyen (CI) 6-1, 6-1
4. Freddy Walsh (BSU) def. Jaron Tietsort (CI) 6-0, 6-1
5. Michael Gilliland (BSU) def. Joel Hernandez (CI) 6-0, 6-0
6. Nick Gourley (BSU) def. James Collett (CI) 6-0, 6-0
1. James Meredith/Erik Sheldon (BSU) def. Mark Malmstrom/Max Nguyen (CI) 8-1
2. Michael Gilliland/Nick Gourley (BSU) def. Chen Simpson/Jaron Tietsort (CI) 8-3
3. Freddy Walsh/Harry Skinner (BSU) def. Joel Hernandez/Thomas McMahon (CI) 8-1
College of Idaho 0-5
Boise State University 5-4; National ranking #66
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,4,2,1,3)