Due to a short amount of time to play before the Aztecs had to catch a flight, the two teams began with singles play on Saturday, hoping a team winner would result without the need of the doubles point. That idea proved to be true, giving the Broncos a solid win.
The Broncos were led by Eric Roberson who earned the first Bronco win of the day, topping Tim Shulz van Ender, 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 6 singles match. Brent Werbeck was the next to finish, topping SDSU’s Andre Felix, 6-4, 6-2, in the No. 3 spot. No. 59 Luke Shields fought off Matan Shitrit to win in two sets, 7-5, 6-4, in No. 1 singles.
SDSU was the next to earn a win with Bartosz Golas defeating No. 55 Clancy Shields, 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 2 singles spot. The Broncos were able to hold off the Aztecs in the final two matches to seal the 5-1 win. First Steve Robertson battled to win 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 over Danny Heidecker in the No. 4 spot while Piotr Dilaj fought off Jordan Colman in the No. 5 spot, 4-6, 6-0, 7-5.
The Broncos will continue their weekend at home facing No. 42 Pepperdine University on Sunday, March 9 at 1 p.m. The match is slated to be played at the Appleton Tennis Complex, weather permitting.
1. #59 Luke Shields (BSU) def. Matan Shitrit (SDSU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Bartosz Golas (SDSU) def. #55 Clancy Shields (BSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Brent Werbeck (BSU) def. Andre Feliz (SDSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Steve Robertson (BSU) def. Danny Heidecker (SDSU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Piotr Dilaj (BSU) def. Jordan Colman (SDSU) 4-6, 6-0, 7-5
6. Eric Roberson (BSU) def. Tim Schulz van Ender (SDSU) 6-1, 6-1
Did Not Play
San Diego State University 5-5; National ranking #52
Boise State 9-8; National ranking #40
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (6,3,1,2,4,5)