BOISE, Idaho - The No. 35 Boise State men's tennis team (9-5) closed out its three-match road trip with a 4-3 win over No. 59 Utah, Saturday.
Boise State started the match by sweeping the doubles point. Damian Hume/Scott Sears won 8-4 and James Meredith/Nathan Sereke took down their opponents 8-6. The final match was a close one as Andy Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin edged out Utah's Slim Hamza/Devin Lane in tiebreakers.
That one-point advantage was quickly erased by the Utes who snagged wins at the No. 6 and No. 5 matches to start singles play, taking a 2-1 lead.
In a hole, the Broncos would bounce back with three consecutive wins in the first, second and fourth matches. Meredith and Hume each cruised to wins at the top two spots, winning 6-3, 6-3 and 6-3, 6-2, respectively. The nationally-ranked players were the only Broncos to win all three singles matches on the trip.
Sereke, while not ranked nationally, has put together an impressive record this season going 10-1 in singles play and 19-4 overall. He won in straight sets, Saturday, taking care of business in the second-set tiebreaker.
The Broncos will be back in action, Wednesday, March 7 when they host Radford in a match scheduled to be played at the Appleton Tennis Center.
1. No. 60 James Meredith (BSU) def. Benito Suriano (UTAH) 6-3, 6-3
2. No. 59 Damian Hume (BSU) def. Dmytro Mamedov (UTAH) 6-3, 6-2
3. Slim Hamza (UTAH) def. Andrew Bettles (BSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
4. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Devin Lane (UTAH) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Rafael Davidian (UTAH) def. Scott Sears (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH) def. Garrett Patton (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. James Meredith/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Dmytro Mamedov/Benito Suriano (UTAH) 8-6
2. Damian Hume/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Alejandro Medinilla/Ace Matias (UTAH) 8-4
3. Andrew Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Slim Hamza/Devin Lane (UTAH) 9-8 (7-2)
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1, 4, 2, 3