PROVO, Utah - In more than six and a half hours of tennis, the No. 35 men's tennis team (8-5) was upset by BYU, 5-2 Friday. It was a match that included six sets decided by tiebreakers and four individual singles matches that went to three sets.
The Broncos started the match by going down 1-0 after the doubles point. James Meredith and Nathan Sereke were defeated, 8-4 at the No. 1 spot but Damian Hume and Scott Sears evened things up with an 8-6 victory at No. 2. The pressure was on court three where Filipp Pogostkin and Andy Bettles fell in tiebreak fashion 9-8 (7-3). The match marked only the third time this season that the Broncos have lost the doubles point.
In singles, Boise State got two wins at the top two spots. No. 60 Meredith upset No. 54 Georgy Batrakov in straight sets. No. 59 Damian Hume earned his second win of the road trip with a 6-3 win in the third set after splitting the first two with BYU's Patrick Kawka.
Nathan Sereke lost his first singles match of the season in three sets and is now 9-1 in dual play. He fell to Francis Sargeant 6-4, 6-7(6), 10-5.
The Cougars added points in the Nos. 3-6 to add four points to the one they earned in doubles.
Boise State will conclude its three-game road trip Saturday when it heads to Salt Lake City to face No. 59 Utah at 5 p.m.
BYU 5, No. 35 Boise State 2
1. No. 60 James Meredith (BSU) def. No. 54 Georgy Batrakov (BYU), 7-6(6), 7-5
2. No. 59 Damian Hume (BSU) def. Patrick Kawka (BYU), 6-3, 6-7(5), 6-3
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Andrew Bettles (BSU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Scott Sears (BSU), 7-6(4), 4-6, 6-3
5. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU), 6-4, 6-7(6), 10-5
6. Michael Eraso (BYU) def. Garrett Patton (BSU), 6-4, 7-6(2)
1. G. Batrakov/P. Kawka (BYU) def. J. Meredith/N. Sereke (BSU), 8-4
2. D. Hume/S. Sears (BSU) def. S. Smith/F. Sargeant (BYU), 8-6
3. K. Cullimore/M. Eraso (BYU) def. A. Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU), 9-8(3)
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (3, 4, 1, 2, 6, 5)