LOGAN, Utah - The No. 35 Boise State men's tennis team (8-4) got back on the winning track, Thursday with a 6-1 win over the Utah State Aggies.
Sophomore Nathan Sereke actually never left the winning track and is now a perfect 9-0 in singles play this spring. Sereke played at the No. 4 spot for the Broncos, Thursday, defeating Fredrik Peterson in straight sets 6-2, 6-2. The streak is the best start by any Boise State player since the 2007-08 season, which is where the Bronco individual match-by-match records begin.
Filipp Pogostkin did not give up a single game in his No. 5 match, defeating Lenny Whiting 6-0, 6-0.
Both of the squad's ranked players came away with victories at the top two spots. James Meredith (No. 60 nationally) edged Sven Poslusny in both sets at the No. 1 spot while Damian Hume (No. 59 nationally) showed his strength as the match went on, winning 6-4, 6-1.
Andy Bettles improved to 6-3 this dual season with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Matt Sweet in the No. 3 match.
The Broncos swept the doubles competition, winning 8-3 at the second and third positions while the top team of Meredith/Sereke won in tiebreak fashion. Tandem play has been a strong suit for the team this season, as it now holds a 23-5 record in dual doubles matches.
Boise State will make the drive to Provo, Utah for a 5:30 p.m. contest against BYU, Friday, and will conclude the road trip in Salt Lake City where they will face No. 59 Utah.
1. No. 60 James Meredith (BSU) def. Sven Poslusny (USU) 7-6 (5), 7-5
2. No. 59 Damian Hume (BSU) def. Marcus Fritz (USU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Matt Sweet (USU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Lenny Whiting (USU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Nate Ballam (USU) def. Aidan Reid (BSU) 4-6, 7-5, 10-7
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6
1. James Meredith/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Sven Poslusny/Marcus Fritz (USU) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Andrew Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Nate Ballam/Matt Sweet (USU) 8-3
3. Damian Hume/Aidan Reid (BSU) def. Andrew Whiting/Lenny Whiting (USU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1