PROVO, Utah - No. 29 Boise State dropped to 4-4 overall this season after losing its' fourth dual of the season against ranked opponents (1-4) with a 5-2 loss to No. 45 Brigham Young, Saturday (Feb. 27), in Provo, Utah.
The Broncos fell behind early by losing the doubles point in the final doubles match of the day. From there, things only got worse for Boise State. After splitting No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, George Batrakov and Daniel Hwang of BYU beat Erik Sheldon and Harry Skinner, 8-6, to take a 1-0 advantage into singles play.
In singles competition, Boise State's struggles continued through the first three matches as the Broncos dropped the No. 4, 3 and 2 matches to put the dual out of reach, 4-0. No. 36 James Meredith earned the Broncos' first point of the day at No. 1, with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 win over No. 98 Thomas Shubert.
After dropping the No. 5 match, Jeff Mullen narrowed the final score for Boise State with a 6-4, 4-6 (10-8) win over Hwang at No. 6.
Next on the schedule for Boise State is the Pacific Coast Doubles in La Jolla, Calif. March 5-7. The Broncos are on the road until March 25 (Thursday), when they return home to face Idaho and UC Irvine in a double header.
No. 45 BYU-5 No. 29 Boise State-2
1. Cassidy Mears/Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. James Meredith/Jeff Mullen (BSU) 8-5
2. Spencer Smith/Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 8-4
3. George Batrakov/Daniel Hwang (BYU) def. Erik Sheldon/Harry Skinner (BSU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. No. 36 James Meredith (BSU) def. No. 98 T. Shubert (BYU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Vicente Joli (BSU) 6-4, 7-6 (14)
3. Cassidy Mears (BYU) def. Harry Skinner (BSU) 6-4, 6-2
4. George Batrakov (BYU) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Cristian Hodel (BSU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Jeff Mullen (BSU) def. Daniel Hwang (BYU) 6-4, 4-6, (10-8)
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6