MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The No. 37 ranked Boise State men's tennis team dropped its second consecutive dual at the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Ala., Saturday (Feb. 26), as the Broncos fell to No. 46 Arizona, 4-2, ending their run at a consolation championship.
Boise State drops to 3-8 overall this season (0-0 Western Athletic Conference) with the loss including a 2-7 record against nationally ranked opponents. Arizona (6-4) overcame an early deficit to the Broncos with strong singles play to race out to the 4-2 victory.
Boise State managed to clinch an early advantage in Saturday's dual thanks to a pair of quick doubles wins at No. 1 and No. 3. Damian Hume and Scott Sears would put the doubles point within reach for the Broncos at No. 1 with an 8-2 victory over Jason Zafiros and Andre Vidaller. Andy Bettles and Filipp Pogostkin would secure the doubles point for Boise State next at No. 3 with an 8-1 win against Kieren Thompson and Mario Urquidi.
The Broncos fought hard to extend their lead early in singles competition but were unable to maintain momentum against the Wildcats. After losing at No. 3, Andy Bettles would give Boise State a 2-1 lead in the dual with a straight set victory at No. 4, beating Thompson, 7-5, 7-2. Arizona would answer with wins at No. 6 and No. 2 however, to take a 3-2 lead in the dual.
Pogostkin would lose a hard fought contest at No. 2 as Vidaller prevailed, 6-3, 0-6, 6-4.
With the team win hanging on the final two singles matches, the Broncos would fall just short as the Wildcats won at No. 5 to secure the 4-2 victory.
Hume held a slight lead at No. 1 singles when play was stopped, gaining a 6-3, 4-6, 4-3 advantage over Zafiros before the match was called.
Boise State will wrap up its weekend at the Blue Gray Classic on Sunday (Feb. 26) with a dual against No. 69 Penn State in the seventh-place match. The Broncos and Nittany Lions are scheduled to meet at 4:30 p.m. (CST).
#46 Arizona 4, #37 Boise State 2
1. Damian Hume/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Jason Zafiros/Andre Vidaller (UA) 8-2
2. Geoff Embry/Jay Goldman (UA) def. Jeff Mullen/Nathan Sereke (BSU) 8-6
3. Andy Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Kieren Thompson/Mario Urquidi (UA) 8-1
1. Hume (BSU) vs. Zafiros (UA) 6-3, 4-6, 4-3 DNF
2. Vidaller (UA) def. Pogostkin (BSU) 6-3, 0-6, 6-4
3. Embry (UA) def. Sears (BSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Bettles (BSU) def. Thompson (UA) 7-5, 6-2
5. Urquidi (UA) def. Sereke (BSU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
6. Barr (UA) def. Freddy Walsh (BSU) 7-5, 6-1