SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - The No. 29 Boise State men's tennis team earned its' first win over a ranked opponent this season, Friday (Feb. 26) evening, as the Broncos took down No. 70 Utah, 6-1, at the Eccles Tennis Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Prior to Friday the Broncos had faced four nationally ranked opponents, whom they played to a 0-3 record with one match ending in a rain delay. Their fortune would be reversed today, however, as Boise State secured the doubles point and never looked back.
Vicente Joli and Filipp Pogostkin earned the first doubles win for Boise State, beating Stephen Jacobs and Jason Smits 8-6 at No. 2. After dropping the No. 3 doubles point, the Broncos needed a 9-8 win by James Meredith and Jeff Mullen over Phillip Eilers and Alex Golding at No. 1 to earn the 1-0 advantage heading into singles.
From there the Broncos rolled, winning the first five singles matches to put the dual well out of reach. No. 36 Meredith earned a 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 win over Eilers at No. 1, while Joli beat Smith 6-4, 6-4 at No. 2. Next, Pogostkin beat Dmytro Mamedov, 6-4, 6-2, in the No. 4 match, which was followed by Cristian Hodel's 6-2, 6-2 victory over Timmy Allin at No. 5. Boise State capped its' day off with a win at No. 6 as Mullen beat Jacobs, 6-4, 6-3.
The Ute's did narrow the final score to 6-1 with a 6-4, 4-6, 10-7 win by Golding over Harry Skinner in the No. 3 singles match, but not before the team score was well out of reach.
With the win, Boise State improves its' overall record this season to 4-3 (1-0 Western Athletic Conference). The Broncos conclude their weekend road trip on Saturday (Feb. 27) with a dual against Brigham Young University at 4 p.m. in Provo, Utah.
#29 Boise State University 6, #70 University of Utah 1
1. #36 James Meredith (BSU) def. Phillip Eilers (UTAH) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
2. Vicente Joli (BSU) def. Jason Smits (UTAH) 6-4, 6-4
3. Alex Golding (UTAH) def. Harry Skinner (BSU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-7
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Dmytro Mamedov (UTAH) 6-4, 6-2
5. Cristian Hodel (BSU) def. Timmy Allin (UTAH) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jeff Mullen (BSU) def. Stephen Jacobs (UTAH) 6-4, 6-3
1. James Meredith/Jeff Mullen (BSU) def. Phillip Eilers/Alex Golding (UTAH) 9-8
2. Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Stephen Jacobs/Jason Smits (UTAH) 8-6
3. Nick Gourley/Harry Skinner (BSU) def. Timmy Allin/Benito Suriano (UTAH) 8-6
Boise State University 4-3; National ranking #29
University of Utah 4-4; National ranking #70
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,6,1,4,3)