No. 44 Boise State 1, No. 14 Auburn 4
Boise State won four of six first sets to put the Tigers on the ropes early, but the No. 14 team in the land would not go down easy, fighting back to win all six second sets.
Nathan Sereke was the lone Bronco to get a win. He defeated Lukas Ollert in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. The win by the native of Stockholm, Sweden kept his undefeated record intact, as Sereke is 8-0 in dual this spring.
James Meredith, Scott Sears and Filipp Pogostkin each won sets in the morning. Meredith fell to 23rd-ranked Andreas Mies at the No. 1 spot while Pogostkin could not pull out a win against Lucas Lopasso. Sears was 4-4 in the third set when play stopped.
1) No. 23 Andreas Mies (AU) def. James Meredith (BSU), 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
2) Alex Stamchev (AU) def. Andy Bettles (BSU), 6-4, 6-3
3) Daniel Cochrane (AU) vs. Scott Sears (BSU), 4-6, 6-4, 4-4 (DNF)
4) Dennis Lengsfeld def. Garrett Patton (BSU), 6-3, 6-1
5) Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Lukas Ollert (AU), 6-3, 6-4
6) Lucas Lopasso (AU) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU), 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
No. 44 Boise State 0, No. 15 Mississippi State 4
In the second match of the day, the Broncos went down in straight sets of four matches, three of which came at the hands of ranked opponents.
Meredith, Andy Bettles, Sears and Pogostkin each finished their matches while Damian Hume and Sereke stopped before determining a winner. Hume fell in a close first set, 7-5 but was even at 2-2 in the second. Sereke was looking for his ninth win of the spring but did not have enough time, he won the first set 6-4 and was up 6-5 in the second.
The Broncos will play tomorrow against No. 21 Tennessee in their final match of the tournament. The match time is still to be announced.
1) No. 71 Artem Ilyushin (MSU) def. No. 34 James Meredith (BSU) 6-3, 6-1
2) James Chaudry (MSU) vs. No. 51 Damian Hume (BSU) 7-5, 2-2 (DNF)
3) No. 109 Malte Stropp (MSU) vs. Andy Bettles (BSU) 6-4, 6-3
4) No. 83 Louis Cant (MSU) vs. Scott Sears (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
5) No. 42 George Coupland (MSU) vs. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 4-6, 5-6 (DNF)
6) Zach White (MSU) vs. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 6-4, 6-3