Boise State Heads to Alabama for BGNTC
Broncos to open the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic against No. 14 South Florida
Feb. 25, 2016
- MATCH 13
- No. 67 Boise State (7-5) Vs. No. 14 South Florida (4-3)
- Montgomery, Ala. (Lagoon Park Tennis Center)
- Feb. 26, 2016 at 3 p.m. (Mountain)
- Live Stats
PREVIEW FOR THIS WEEK
- Boise State is off to the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic at Montgomery, Ala., where the Broncos will open against 14th-ranked South Florida.
- Boise State enters the weekend at 7-5 overall and ranked 67th in the latest ITA poll ... the Broncos are coming off a 2-1 record last week defeating Idaho State (W 6-1) on the road, then traveled to Eugene, Ore., where they beat then 50th-ranked Indiana (W 4-3) before falling to No. 37 Oregon (L 6-1).
- Boise State has won the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic on three occasions including back-to-back titles in 2013 and 2014.
REPRESENTING THE BRONCOS THIS WEEK
- This week's action begins Friday in Montgomery, Ala., against the 14th-ranked South Florida Bulls (4-3) who are led by Roberto Cid ranked fifth nationally in singles and No. 35 Dominic Cotrone ... while Justin Roberts and Cotrone are ranked 46th in doubles.
- Depending on what happens Friday the Broncos will play at least one more match Saturday against one of the other four teams in the field: No. 9 Oklahoma State, No. 48 Auburn, No. 52 Princeton and Alabama.
- Kyle Butters: The freshman from New Zealand is 10-8 in singles matches and 7-3 in doubles.
- Brian Foley: The senior is 8-6 in singles and 4-7 in doubles.
- Tillman Haynes: The freshman from Texas is 5-4 in singles and 4-1 in doubles.
- Abe Hewko: The junior is currently 8-10 singles and 9-7 in doubles competition.
- Toby Mitchell: The senior from England has a 9-9 singles record and 7-3 doubles mark.
- Pedro Platzeck: The freshman from Brazil joined the team during the winter break and is currently 6-3 in singles and 6-4 in doubles.
- Lewis Roskilly: The sophomore from England is 7-9 in singles and 6-9 in doubles.
- Danny Moyer: The sophomore is 4-2 in singles overall and 4-1 in doubles matches.
- Greg Wischer: The freshman is 2-1 in singles this year and 4-0 in doubles.
- Note: The players' records are for the 2015-16 year.
BOISE STATE 67th NATIONALLY
- Greg Patton is in his 20th season as head coach at Boise State where he is 430-171 overall in team duals, his career mark is 781-364 in 36 years.
- His 781 career wins ranks him first among active coaches ... the Broncos' win over Southern Utah (Jan. 19) moved him into fourth-place all-time on the NCAA career list at 777.
MOUNTAIN WEST LOOKING TOUGH IN 2016
- The Boise State slipped to No. 67 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) National Rankings.
- The Broncos started the 2016 campaign ranked 59th nationally by the ITA and have been as high as 58th this season.
- Boise State is one of two Mountain West teams currently listed in the ITA national rankings Feb. 22nd.
- Leading the group is San Diego State at No. 65, followed by No. 67 Boise State, No. 70 Utah State and No. 73 Fresno State.
- Five MW members have been ranked this season with Fresno State, New Mexico and Utah State dropping out recently.
FOUR-TIME MOUNTAIN WEST CHAMPS
- There are currently 19 schools on the Broncos' schedule who either are ranked or have been at some point this year.
- Boise State has already defeated then ranked No. 69 San Francisco 4-3 (Jan. 23) and No. 50 Indiana (Feb. 20) ... the Broncos have lost at No. 5 Texas A&M (Jan. 24), at No. 18 Virginia Tech (Jan. 30) and at No. 37 Oregon (Feb. 21) ... the rankings were at the time of the contests.
- Other schools the Broncos have faced but were not ranked at the time of the match include a victory over No. 72 Santa Clara (Feb. 7) and defeats at No. 53 Utah (Feb. 12) and No. 58 BYU (Feb. 13) ... rankings are from the most recent poll.
- The Broncos will still face: No. 14 South Florida (Feb. 25), No. 27 UC Santa Barbara (March 23), No. 62 UC Irvine (March 3) and No. 65 San Diego State (April 15).
- The Broncos will also face at least one of the following schools at the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic (Feb. 26-27) in Montgomery, Ala.: No. 9 Oklahoma State, No. 48 Auburn, No. 52 Princeton, and Alabama who has been ranked.
- Other schools on the schedule that have been ranked include: Mountain West members Fresno State (April 8), New Mexico (April 3) and Utah State (March 19), as well as Cal Poly (March 26).
NCAA NATIONAL TOURNAMENT
- The Broncos have never lost (11-0) at the Mountain West Tournament since joining the league for the 2011-12 campaign and are the four-time defending champions.
- Overall Boise State has won 16 conference titles, 14 under coach Patton's leadership
- Boise State advanced to the NCAA Tournament in 2015 for the 18th time in school history and the 10th time in the last 11 years.