The two teams began by playing their singles matches which allowed the Bulldogs to clinch the team title without counting the doubles matches; therefore, no doubles matches were played.
The Broncos’ two points were scored at the No. 1 singles spot and the No. 5 spot. No. 64 Luke Shields defeated Fresno States’ Rudolf Siwy, 7-5, 6-2 in the No. 1 spot while Steve Robertson made quick work of Siddharth Alapati, 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 5 spot. Robertson’s match was the first completed singles match of the day followed by a Bulldog win by Martin Nilsson over Eric Roberson, 6-2, 7-6 (6) in the No. 6 singles match to tie the team score.
In the No. 4 spot, Denny Fafek fought of Piotr Dilaj in a 7-6 (5), 7-5 match while Tejesvi Veerpalli clinched the win for the Bulldogs with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over Brent Werbeck in the No. 3 singles match.
The Broncos move to a 6-8 record with the loss, including a 1-4 record against nationally ranked teams. The Broncos have struggled on the road, posting a 1-6 record but are flawless at home with a 4-0 record. BSU will look to March and April where it hosts 10 dual matches and one tournament and travels only to one tournament to finish out the spring season. The Broncos will host
NCAA Men's Tennis
Feb. 24, 2008
1) No. 64 Luke Shields (BS) def. Rudolf Siwy (FS), 7-5, 6-2
2) Mirko Zapletal (FS) def. No. 60 Clancy Shields (BS), 6-4, 6-1
3) * Tejesvi Veerepalli (FS) def. Brent Werbeck (BS), 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
4) Denny Fafek (FS) def. Piotr Dilaj (BS), 7-6 (5), 7-5
5) Steve Robertson (BS) def. Siddharth Alapati (FS), 6-0, 6-1
6) Martin Nilsson (FS) def. Eric Roberson (BS), 6-2, 7-6 (6)
Order of completion: 5, 6, 2, 1, 4, 3*
* clinched match
Doubles (Doubles was not played)
1) Veerepalli/Zapletal (FS) v. Shields/Shields (BS), DNP
2) Alapati/Fafek (FS) v. Koenke/Roberson (BS), DNP
3) Leiby/Siwy (FS) v. Boswell/Robertson (BS), DNP
Order of completion: N/A