PALO ALTO, Calif. - The No. 8 Stanford men's tennis team proved to be too much for No. 29 ranked Boise State to handle, Friday afternoon (Feb. 19), as the Cardinal (7-1) rolled past the Broncos (3-3), 6-1, in a non-conference matchup of two top-30 teams in Palo Alto, Calif.
Boise State didn't go down without a fight, however, as the Broncos played all three doubles matches extremely close before dropping the doubles point on a sweep. In the No. 3 doubles match, Jeff Mullen and Eric Sheldon fought Sam Ecker and Jamie Hutter to the wire before dropping the match 9-7. Just shortly after Stanford would clinch the doubles point with an 8-6 win at No. 1 by Matt Kandath and Denis Lin over James Meredith and Harry Skinner.
Stanford swept the doubles matches with a final win at No. 3, but not without Boise State's Vicente Joli and Filipp Pogostkin taking Walker Kehrer and Richard Wire to a tie breaker before finally falling 9-8 (5).
Boise State's would struggle in singles competition too, as the Broncos dropped matches at No. 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6. Boise State won its' lone match of the day at No. 4 as Pogostkin beat Kandath in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2.
Skinner came close to giving the Broncos their second point of the afternoon in the No. 3 match, as he played Richard Wire to a tie breaker. After winning the first set, 7-6, Skinner would drop the second set 7-5. With the win already at hand, Wire extended the team score for Stanford with a 6-7, 7-5, 1-0 (9) win to end singles action.
With the loss the Broncos fall to 3-3 overall, including a 0-3 record against nationally ranked opponents. Boise State will look to turn around their misfortune on Saturday when the Broncos travel to Fresno, Calif. to face No. 30 Fresno State. That dual is scheduled to start at 5 p.m. (PST).
No. 8 Stanford 6, No. 29 Boise State 1
1) Kandath/Lin (STAN) d. Meredith/Skinner (BSU) 8-6
2) Walker Kehrer/Wire (STAN) d. Joli/Pogostkin (BSU) 9-8 (5)
3) Sam Ecker/Jamie Hutter (STAN) d. Mullen/Eric Sheldon (BSU) 9-7
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1) No. 18 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. No. 35 James Meredith (BSU) 6-4, 6-2
2) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. Vicente Joli (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
3) Richard Wire (STAN) d. Harry Skinner (BSU) 6-7, 7-5, 1-0 (9)
4) Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) d. Matt Kandath (STAN) 6-4, 6-2
5) Greg Hirshman (STAN) d. Cristian Hodel (BSU) 6-1, 6-2
6) Denis Lin (STAN) d. Jeff Mullen (BSU) 6-3, 7-6
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 1, 6, 4, 3