CHICAGO, Ill. The No. 16 Boise State University men’s tennis team dropped its second match of the USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championship, this time falling to No. 18 and 13th seeded Texas, 4-1, at the Midtown Tennis Club at Chicago on Feb. 17.
For the third consecutive match the Broncos failed to earn the doubles point, all of which ended in defeat.
Once again with the doubles point on the line,
Steve Robertson and Clancy Shields opened by losing to Josh Zavala and Dimitar Kutrovsky, 8-4. Blake Boswell and Eric Roberson then followed up with a, 9-8, loss against Luis Diaz Barriaga and Bernhard Deussner. Luke Shields and Piotr Dilaj did capture the final doubles match 8-6 over Jonah Kane-West and Miguel Reyes Varela.
Luke Shields (9-1) collected the lone match point for
The Broncos fell at the No. 3, 4 and 6 positions to allow the Longhorns to win the match.
Dliaj fell at No. 3 to Kutrovsky, 6-4 and 6-4. Robertson lost his first singles match in dual play falling, 4-6, 7-5 and 6-0, to Rook Schellenberg. Eric Roberson dropped his match, 6-4 and 7-5, to Diaz Barriaga.
This is the third consecutive loss for the
Next the Broncos will travel to face No. 3 Virginia on Feb. 24, at and then go to William &
Singles (1, 4, 3, 6)
1. Luke Shields d. Miguel Reyes Varela, 6-4, 6-1
2. Clancy Shields and
3. Dimitar Kutrovsky d. Piotr Dilaj, 6-4, 6-4
4. Luis Diaz Barriaga d. Eric Roberson, 6-4, 7-5
5. Blake Boswell and Josh Zavala, 4-6, 6-4, 3-1 DNF
6. Rook Schellenberg d. Steve Robertson 4-6, 7-5, 6-0
Doubles (1, 3, 2)
1. Zavala/Kutrovsky d. Robertson/C. Shields, 8-4
2. Dilaj/L. Shields d. Kane-West/Reyes Varela, 8-6
3. Diaz Barriaga/Deussner d. Boswell/Roberson, 9-8