SEATTLE, Wash. (2/15/08) - No. 3 seed Ohio State improved to 8-0 and earned a spot in the quarterfinals with their 4-0 win over No.14 seed Boise State in Friday’s ITA National Indoor Team Championship in Seattle, Wash. The Buckeyes won the doubles point. Brothers Luke and Clancy Shields notched a win at No. 1 doubles for Boise State to start the match, beating Matt Allare and Mike O’Connell, 8-3. But Drew Eberly and Justin Kronauge won at No. 2 doubles 8-4, evening up the score. Bryan Koniecko and Steven Moneke put the Buckeyes up 1-0, with their 8-5 win at No. 3 singles, over Boise’s Steve Robertson and Brent Werbeck.
In singles, simultaneous finishes at Nos. 3, 6 and 5 singles gave Ohio State the win. Koniecko was the first, as he beat Werbeck 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3 singles; that win was followed by a win by Eberly at No. 6, where he beat Boise State’s Paul Koenke, 6-3, 6-1. And the match was clinched just seconds later, as Allare beat Robertson, 6-3, 6-3 in the No. 5 spot. Ohio State advances to the quarterfinals for the second straight year; last year the Buckeyes made it all the way to the finals, where they lost to No. 1 seed Georgia, 4-0.
With the loss, No. 14 Boise State falls to 5-5 on the year and enters Saturday’s back draw. They will take on No. 11 Illinois at 2:30 p.m at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle, Wash. Ohio State will move on to the quarterfinals, and take on No. 6 seed USC. The Trojans beat Illinois 4-1 in today’s first round.
ITA Team Indoor National Championship...
Hosted by the University of Washington
Nordstrom Tennis Center/Seattle Tennis Club
No.3 Ohio State def. No. 14 Boise State, 4-0
1. L. Shields/ C. Shields (BSU) def. Allare/Mike O’Connell (OSU), 8-3
2. Eberly/Kronauge (OSU) def. Koenke/Roberson (BSU), 8-4
3. Koniecko/Moneko (OSU) def. Robertson/Werbeck (BSU), 8-5
Order of finish (singles): 3, 6, 5
1. Justin Kronauge (OSU) vs. Luke Shields (BSU), DNF
2. Steven Moneke (OSU) vs. Clancy Shields (BSU), DNF
3. Bryan Koniecko (OSU) def. Brent Werbeck (BSU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Shuhei Uzawa (OSU) vs. Piotr Dilaj (BSU), DNF
5. Matt Allare (OSU) def. Steve Robertson (BSU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Drew Eberly (OSU) def. Paul Koenke (BSU), 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish (singles): 3, 6, 5*