Boise State Falls To No. 15 USC
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 18 Boise State University men’s tennis team (7-1) dropped its first dual match of the season, falling 5-2 to No. 15 USC (7-0) at Marks Stadium at Los Angeles, Calif.
Luke Shields remained perfect in dual match play as he improved to 8-0, with a 6-3 and 6-3, victory over Jamil Al-Agba while playing in the number one position.
At the No. 2 position, Clancy Shields provided the Broncos with a singles point as he defeated Dejan Cvetkovic in straight sets 6-3 and 7-5 to improve to his record to 6-1 in dual matches.
Even with the wins at the top of the lineup Boise State could not prevail. At No. 3, Piotr Dilaj fell to Kaes Van’t Hof 6-3 and 6-2. Eric Roberson was ousted by Robert Farah 6-4 and 6-2. Blake Boswell dropped to Jason McNaughton 7-6 and 6-0. At No. 6, Brent Werbeck was defeated by Gary Sacks 6-1 and 6-3.
The Broncos also dropped the doubles point as Steve Roberson and C. Shields fell to Al-Agba and Cvetkovic 8-7. L. Shields and Stanley Sarapanich lost their match 9-7 to Farah and Van’t Hof. While Boswell and Roberson were defeated 8-3 by Loucks and Snyder.
This was the seventh straight win for the Trojans who improved to 7-0 in dual play while Boise State dropped to 7-1.
Boise State will now prepare to travel to Chicago to compete in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship Feb. 16-18. Boise State received the 12th seed and will face No. 5 Mississippi in the opening round Thursday.
No. 18 Boise State 2, No. 15 USC 5
(1) Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) def. Robertson/C. Shields (BSU) -- 8-7 (8-6)
(2) Farah/Van’t Hof (USC) def. Dilas/L.Shields (BSU) -- 9-7
(3) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Boswell/Roberson -- 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
(1) #15 Luke Shields (BSU) def. Jamil Al-Agba (USC) -- 6-3, 6-3
(2) #94 Clancy Shields (BSU) def. Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) -- 6-3. 7-5
(3) Kaes Van’t Hof (USC) def. Piotr Dilas (BSU) -- 6-3, 6-2
(4) Robert Farah (USC) def. Eric Roberson (BSU) -- 6-4, 6-2
(5) #91 Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Blake Boswell (BSU) -- 7-6 (4), 6-0
(6) Gary Sacks (USC) def. Brent Werbeck (BSU) -- 6-1, 6-3*
Order of finish: 3, 4, 6*, 2, 5, 1
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
- Chairback Rentals
- Bronco Athletic Association
- BAA Home
- Bronco Luncheon Series
- Varsity B
- Boise State Hall of Fame
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE