SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - The Boise State University men’s tennis team (No. 18) improved to 7-0 in dual match play with a 6-1 victory over No. 73 UC Santa Barbara (1-2) at the Recreation Center Courts in Santa Barbara, Calif.
The Broncos opened the match by capturing the doubles point in flawless fashion. Clancy Shields and Steve Robertson defeated Anders Dalskov and Jack Hui, 8-2. Luke Shields and Stanley Sarapanich then knocked off Nigel Barton and Bijan Hejazi, 8-2. Piotr Dilaj and Eric Roberson then followed suit with a 8-4 victory over Philip Therp and Grant Robertson to collect the match point for Boise State.
Boise State’s dominance continued in singles as the Broncos won five of the six singles points.
Sophomore Steve Roberson improved his dual match record to 3-0 with a 6-3 and 6-2 victory over Josh Finkelstein. Brent Werbeck defeated Max Taylor 6-2 and 6-1 to raise his record to 3-1.
Clancy Shields recorded the clinching match point for Boise State with his 6-4 and 6-4 victory over Hui. With the win C. Shields improved to 5-1 in singles.
Playing in the No. 1 position, Luke Shields captured the 6-1 and 6-4 victory over Hejazi to raise his dual match record to a perfect 7-0 mark.
Piotr Dilaj collect a 7-5 and 6-4 win over Therp in the number three postion to improve to 4-1.
In the final match of the day, Dalskov beat Roberson 6-1 and 7-6.
Boise State will face No. 15 USC in Los Angeles, Calif., on Feb. 10, beginning at 1:15 p.m. (MT).
Singles (Order of finish 6-5-2-1-3-4)
1. Luke Shields d. Bijan Hejazi, 6-1, 6-4
2. Clancy Shields d. Jack Hui, 6-4, 6-4
3. Piotr Dilaj d. Philip Therp, 7-5, 6-4
4. Anders Dalskov d. Eric Roberson, 6-1, 7-6
5. Brent Werbeck d. Max Taylor, 6-1, 6-1
6. Steve Robertson d. Josh Finkelstein, 6-3, 6-2
1. Robertson/C. Shields d. Dalskov/Hui, 8-2
2. Stanley Sarapanich/L. Shields d. Nigel Barton/Hejazi, 8-2
3. Dilaj/Roberson d. Therp/Grant Robertson, 8-4