Boise State Suffers 5-2 Loss at Minnesota
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - The No. 35 Boise State men's tennis team suffered its second consecutive loss against a top 30 nationally ranked opponent, Sunday (Feb. 6) afternoon, as the Broncos fell to No. 30 Minnesota, 5-2, at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis, Minn.
After falling to No. 28 Virginia Tech 4-3, Saturday, the Broncos failed to rebound on Sunday as they dropped the doubles point to the Gophers before losing four of six doubles matches in the dual. With the pair of losses on the weekend Boise State falls to 2-4 on the season including a 1-4 record against ranked opponents.
On Sunday the Broncos fell behind early against Minnesota with losses at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to drop behind the Gophers 1-0 in the dual. Boise State did earn one win in singles action however, as Jeff Mullen and Nathan Sereke beat Rok Bonin and Tobias Wernet, 8-5 at No. 2.
Minnesota wasted no time extending its lead over the Broncos, winning at No. 5, No. 4 and No. 2 singles to clinch the team win with a 4-0 advantage.
Boise State scored its first point of the day at No. 1 singles as No. 62 ranked Damian Hume beat Bonin, 7-5, 6-1. After falling at No. 6 singles, the Broncos would earn one more win at No. 3 to narrow the final score to 5-2. Scott Sears beat Wernet, 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-8) at No. 3 to earn his second singles win of the weekend.
Boise State is off the court now until next weekend when the Broncos travel to California for a pair of duals against ranked teams. Boise State will meet No. 20 Pepperdine on Saturday (Feb. 13) before taking on No. 6 UCLA on Sunday (Feb. 13). Both duals are scheduled for 1 p.m. (PST).
#30 Minnesota 5, #35 Boise State 2
1. #62 Damian Hume (BSU) def. Rok Bonin (MINN) 7-5, 6-1
2. Sebastian Gallego (MINN) def. #85 Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Tobias Wernet (MINN) 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Jeff Mullen (BSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) def. Andrew Bettles (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
1. Sebastian Gallego/Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Damian Hume/Scott Sears (BSU) 8-6
2. Jeff Mullen/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Rok Bonin/Tobias Wernet (MINN) 8-5
3. Brendan Ruddock/Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Andrew Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin 8-5
Boise State 2-4; National ranking #35
Minnesota 4-1; National ranking #30
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,4,2,1,6,3)
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- 2017 Ticket Info
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Buy/Sell Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
- Bronco Athletic Association
- BAA Home
- Bronco Luncheon Series
- Varsity B
- Boise State Hall of Fame
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE