Broncos Fall Short Against No. 28 Virginia Tech
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - The No. 35 ranked Boise State men's tennis team fell short of pulling off its second upset of a top 30 opponent in one week as the Broncos (2-3 overall, 0-0 Western Athletic Conference) fell to No. 28 Virginia Tech, 4-3, at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minn., Saturday (Feb. 5) afternoon.
The Broncos fell behind early against the Hokies after losing the doubles point and were unable to recover, despite a late rally in singles competition. Boise State scored its only doubles win at No. 1 as Damian Hume and Scott Sears beat Will Beck and Pedro Graber, 8-7 (1). Virginia Tech would score wins at No. 3 and No. 2 doubles to take an early 1-0 advantage in the dual.
The Virginia Tech lead would not last long though, as Andy Bettles earned the Broncos' first win of the day at No. 5 singles with a 6-2, 6-4 victory against Will Beck. The Hokies made sure the tie didn't last long however, winning at No. 2 and No. 4 to take a 3-1 lead.
Nathan Sereke would help narrow the team score to 3-2 next at No. 6 singles with a 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 win over Trpimir Kujundzic. Scott Sears put the Broncos back within striking distance with a win at No. 3, as he fought back from an early deficit to beat Pedro Graver, 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2.
Boise State's run at a comeback would fall short just as it began however; as Virginia Tech won at No. 1 singles to secure the 4-3 win over the Broncos.
Boise State will look to rebound from its third loss of the season when the Broncos face off against No. 30 Minnesota on Sunday (Feb. 6) at noon (CST).
#28 Virginia Tech 4, #35 Boise State 3
1. Damian Hume/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Will Beck/Pedro Graber (VT) 8-7 (1)
2. Corrado Tocci/Luka Someni (VT) def. Jeff Mullen/Nathan Sereke (BSU) 8-6
3. Pat Daciek/Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Andy Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 8-6
1. Luka Someni (VT) def. #62 Damian Hume (BSU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Pat Daciek (VT) def. #85 Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Pedro Graber (VT) 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2
4. Corrado Tocci (VA Tech) def. Jeff Mullen (BSU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
5. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Will Beck (VT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 5, 2, 4, 6, 3, 1
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- 2017 Ticket Info
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Buy/Sell Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Group Tickets
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE