BOISE, Idaho - The Boise State men's tennis (4-1) team rose to the competition and defeated the No. 26 Washington Huskies, 4-3 at the Boise Racquet and Swim Club, Saturday.
The Broncos' first point turned out to be a decisive one, as Boise State edged Washington to get the doubles point with two wins. After the first two matches were split between the two teams, the duo of Garrett Patton and Fillip Pogostkin were left to take on Marton Bots and Matt Stith. With drama building, the rubbermatch had to be settled in tiebreakers as Patton and Pogostkin won 9-8 (8-6) and brought the home crowd to an ovation.
That lead would be quickly erased by the Huskies' No. 1 singles player, Kyle McMorrow, who entered the match ranked 15th in the nation. He defeated James Meredith 6-3, 6-2.
Nathan Sereke was the next to finish for the Broncos, taking down Nicholas Kamisar 6-3, 7-6 (1) in the No. 5 match. Sereke extended his winning streak to eight, stretching back into last fall, and is now 4-0 in dual matches this year.
The lead was short-lived again as Washington's Marton Bots took down Scott Sears in three sets.
The No. 4 match, which pitted Patton against Viktor Farkas was the closest of the night and arguably the most important. The freshman won both his sets in tiebreaker fashion to put the Broncos up 3-2.
This time the lead would be expanded by the Orange and Blue with Andrew Bettles the last to finish in the main playing area. Bettles won his first set 6-4 before losing the second 3-6. In the final set, Bettles outlasted Egger to win 6-2 and secure a Boise State victory.
No. 26 Washington is the highest-ranked team the Broncos have beaten this season and entered the match with a 4-1 record and the lone loss coming to No. 10 Duke.
The men's team will be back in action next weekend against Montana State and Idaho State, Friday, and will play Idaho, Saturday.
Boise State 4, Washington 3
Boise, Idaho - Boise Racquet and Swim Club
Feb. 4, 2012 - Attendance: 350
1. Egger/McMorrow (UW) def. Meredith/Sereke (BSU), 8-5
2. Sears/Bettles (BSU) def. Hawke/Manthou (UW), 8-5
3. Patton/Pogostkin (BSU) def. Bots/Stith (UW), 9-8 (8-6)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. James Meredith (BSU), 6-3,6-2
2. Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. Emmett Egger (UW), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
3. Marton Bots (UW) def. Scott Sears (BSU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Viktor Farkas (UW), 7-6 (7), 7-6 (5)
5. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Nicholas Kamisar (UW), 6-3, 7-6 (1)
6. Max Manthou (UW) def. Fillip Pogostkin (BSU), 3-6, 7-6 (2), 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 3, 4, 2, 6