SAN DIEGO, California - (2/4/2007) - The #17 ranked Broncos won their second close match of the weekend over a top-50 program defeating the #50 San Diego State Aztecs 4-3 Sunday afternoon in San Diego at the Aztec Tennis Center. The win keeps Boise State undefeated on the season at 6-0 while the loss drops SDSU to 2-2.
Boise State, coming off a 4-3 victory over San Diego on Saturday, jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after sweeping all three doubles matches. Steve Robertson and Clancy Shields led the charge at the No. 1 doubles defeating SDSU’s tandem of Markus Dickhardt and Achim Ceban 8-3. Piotr Dilaj and Luke Shields followed up with a 8-3 victory at the No. 2 doubles, while Blake Boswell and Eric Roberson claimed victory at the No. 3’s by the score of 8-6.
In singles play, Boise State’s Luke Shields, ranked 15th nationally, handed SDSU’s 28th-ranked Christian Groh a 6-3, 6-4 defeat giving the Broncos a 2-0 advantage early on the action.
Later, 94th-ranked Clancy Shields held off the Aztec’s Markus Dickhardt to claim a two-set win at the No. 2 singles. Shields won the first set 6-4 and was up 5-0 in the second before Dickhardt tried to rally. After the Aztec won three consecutive games to pull within two, Shields held serve, to put the match away, 6-4, 6-3, and gave the visitors a 3-0 cushion.
Not one minute later on court No. 3, Anthony Gomez got the Aztecs on the board with his straight-set victory over Piotr Dilaj, 6-3, 6-4, pulling SDSU to within two team points with three matches still in progress.
Fortunately for Boise State, Brent Werbeck fought off San Diego State’s Robert Sabo at No. 6, 6-2, 7-6(5), to clinch the victory for the Broncos. The Aztecs received three-set wins from Achim Ceban and Juan Gomez at Nos. 4-5 over Boise State’s Roberson and Boswell respectively to provide the final score.
1. Robertson/C. Shields (BSU) def. Dickhardt/Ceban (SDSU), 8-3
2. Dilaj/L. Shields (BSU) def. A. Gomez/Sabo (SDSU), 8-3
3. Boswell/Roberson (BSU) def. Timu/J. Gomez (SDSU), 8-6
1. #15 Luke Shields (BSU) def. #28 Christian Groh (SDSU), 6-3, 6-4
2. #94 Clancy Shields (BSU) def. Markus Dickhardt (SDSU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Anthony Gomez (SDSU) def. Piotr Dilaj (BSU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Achim Ceban (SDSU) def. Eric Roberson (BSU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Juan Gomez (SDSU) def. Blake Boswell (BSU), 2-6, 7-6, 6-3
6. Brent Werbeck (BSU) def. Robert Sabo (SDSU), 6-2, 7-6(5)