URBANA, Ill. - The No. 21 ranked Boise State men's tennis team dropped its' first dual of the indoor season, Friday (Jan. 29), as the Broncos fell 5-1 in a hard fought contest with No. 26 University of Washington in the first round of the 2010 ITA Kick-Off at the Atkins Tennis Center in Urbana, Ill.
The Broncos (1-1) found themselves against the wall early after dropping the doubles point with losses at No. 2 and No. 3. James Meredith and Cristian Hodel won Boise State's only doubles match at No. 1, defeating Derek Drabble and Martin Kildahl, 8-5.
"We had our nose right against the window early on," head coach Greg Patton said. "We played hard, and I was really happy with how our young guys played, but we just didn't have quite enough."
Down 1-0 heading into singles play, Boise State looked to be fighting back early. Filipp Pogostkin earned the Broncos' only singles win at No. 3, beating Drabble 6-3, 6-4. The win evened the dual score at 1-1. Unfortunately for the Broncos, that would be their last singles win of the day.
The No. 6 match finished next, which was won by Brad Bator (UW), 6-4, 6-4, over Boise State's Erik Sheldon. The loss was followed by a Boise State defeat in the No. 1 match as No. 35 James Meredith fell to Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan, 6-3, 6-4.
Boise State freshman Jeff Mullen fought hard in the No. 5 match for the Broncos, but fell short in a three set heart breaker, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2, to Tobi Obenaus.
The final Bronco loss of the dual came at No. 2 as Kyle McMorrow took down Vicente Joli in the closest match of the day, 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 7-6 (7-4). The No. 4 match between Cristian Hodel and Martin Kildahl (UW) was called at 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 5-5.
"We had two or three matches that a couple balls go our way and we have a chance to win them," Patton said. "So that is encouraging. We have some young guys doing good things. Playing competition this great so early will only help us get better from here on out."
Boise State is now set to face the loser of No. 15 Illinois and No. 27 Virginia Tech at 2 p.m. (CST) on Saturday (Jan. 30). The Illinois and Virginia Tech match is being played Friday evening.
#26 Washington 5, #21 Boise State 1
1. J. Nedunchezhiyan (WASH) def. #35 James Meredith (BSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Kyle McMorrow (WASH) def. Vicente Joli (BSU) 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Derek Drabble (WASH) 6-3, 6-4
4. Cristian Hodel (BSU) vs. Martin Kildahl (WASH) 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 5-5, unfinished
5. Tobi Obenaus (WASH) def. Jeff Mullen (BSU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Brad Bator (WASH) def. Erik Sheldon (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
1. James Meredith/Cristian Hodel (BSU) def. Derek Drabble/Martin Kildahl (WASH) 8-5
2. Kyle McMorrow/J. Nedunchezhiyan (WASH) def. Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 8-4
3. Tobi Obenaus/Brad Bator (WASH) def. Jeff Mullen/Erik Sheldon (BSU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,1,5,2)
Boise State (1-1); National ranking #21
Washington (5-0); National ranking #26