LEXINGTON, Ky. - The No. 42 ranked Boise State men's tennis team saw its run at the 2011 ITA National Indoor Team Championships come to an abrupt end, Saturday (Jan. 29), as the Broncos lost to No. 12 Kentucky, 4-1, on day-one of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
"We're getting a little bit closer to where we want to be for a young team," Boise State head coach Greg Patton said on Saturday. "But this is a season where we are climbing a mountain. We're going to get dirty and bloody, but we plan on getting there to the top."
The ITA Kick-Off is a 60 team event that is broken into 15 locations of four team pools. This year Boise State was placed in pool play with Kentucky, No. 22 Wake Forest and No. 30 Wisconsin at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex in Lexington, Ky. The team that finishes 2-0 on the weekend earns an automatic bid to the indoor team championships.
The Broncos (1-2) run at nationals came up short on Saturday despite earning an early 1-0 lead over the Wildcats (5-0) with two doubles wins to secure the doubles point. After dropping the first doubles match of the day, Boise State rallied with back-to-back wins to score the advantage heading into singles.
Damian Hume and Scott Sears recorded the first Bronco win of the day, beating Eric Quigley and Brad Cox, 8-6, at No. 1. Jeff Mullen and Nathan Sereke finished off the doubles point victory next at No. 2 with an 8-6 win over Alex Musialek and Anthony Rossi.
Boise State failed to carry its momentum from doubles into singles competition however, and four consecutive losses in singles would clinch the win for Kentucky. The Wildcats scored wins at No. 1, No. 3, No. 4 and No. 2 singles to earn a spot in Sunday's championship dual.
"I really believe this is the type of competition we need to play to ultimately be Western Athletic Conference Champions. We competed well today but the bottom line is we got taken back to the tool shed. So now we just have to make sure these matches give us a wealth of experience as we go forward."
With the loss, the Broncos will now meet Wisconsin on Sunday (Jan. 30) for a consolation dual. Boise State will square off against the Badgers at 10 a.m. (EST).
#12 Kentucky 4, #42 Boise State 1
1. No. 2 Eric Quigley (UK) def. No. 62 Damian Hume (BSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. No. 39 Alex Musialek (UK) def. No. 85 Filipp Pogotskin (BSU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Brad Cox (UK) def. Scott Sears (BSU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Anthony Rossi (UK) def. Jeff Mullen (BSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
5. No. 72 Alberto Gonzalez (UK) vs. Andrew Bettles (BSU) 3-2 DNF
6. Grant Roberts (UK) vs. Nathan Serek (BSU) 4-2 DNF
1. Damian Hume/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Eric Quigley/Brad Cox (UK) 8-6
2. Jeff Mullen/Nathan Serek (BSU) def. Alex Musialek/Anthony Rossi (UK) 8-6
3. Alberto Gonzalez/Tom Jomby (UK) def. Andrew Bettles/Filipp Pogotskin (BSU) 8-4
Order of Finish:
Singles - 1, 3, 4, 2*
Doubles - 3, 1, 2*