Boise State improved to 1-0 on the season thanks to strong play in both singles and doubles on Saturday. The Broncos started the dual with back-to-back wins to secure the doubles point. Michael Gilliland and Damian Hume scored the first win of the day for Boise State by beating Lance Dugan and Artem Gramma, 8-5, at No. 3 doubles. Andy Bettles and Filipp Pogostkin clinched the doubles point next at No. 2 with an 8-5 win over Tomasz Kryszkowski and Fernando Ristow.
The Broncos used their momentum from doubles to roll into singles, where the men would win five of six matches. Freddy Walsh earned the first singles win for Boise State with a 6-1, 6-1 victory against Dugan at No. 6. Bettles put the Bronco win within reach next at No. 5 as he beat Alex Golding, 9-8 (1).
After dropping their only singles match of the day at No. 2, No. 62 ranked Hume scored the dual winning point at No. 1 with a 6-1, 6-3 victory against Gramma. Wins by Nathan Sereke and Jeff Mullen would extend the final team score to 6-1 for the Broncos. Sereke beat Ristow, 4-6, 6-2, 10-5 at No. 4. He was followed by Mullen who beat Kryszdowski, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3.
Boise State will close out its weekend road trip on Sunday (Jan. 23) when the Broncos face No. 26 Washington at noon (PST). Fans can watch live streaming of the matches at GoHuskies.com.
#43 Boise State 6, Pacific 1
1. Ivan Castro/Alex Golding (UP) def. Jeff Mullen/Nathan Sereke (BSU) 9-8 (1)
2. Andy Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Tomasz Kryszkowski/Fernando Ristow (UP) 8-5
3. Michael Gilliland/Damian Hume (BSU) def. Lance Dugan/Artem Gramma (UP) 8-5
1. #62 Hume (BSU) def. Gramma (UP) 6-1, 6-3
2. Castro (UP) def. #85 Pogostkin (BSU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Mullen (BSU) def. Kryszdowski (UP) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Sereke (BSU) def. Ristow (UP) 4-6, 6-2, 10-5
5. Bettles (BSU) def. Golding (UP) 6-3, 6-0
6. Freddy Walsh (BSU) def. Dugan (UP) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (6, 5, 2, 1, 4, 3)