In convincing fashion, the Broncos easily swept the Bobcats in each of the three doubles matches, while nearly sweeping all six singles matches, with the No. 1 singles match being the only competition to go to three sets.
Junior Paul Koenke and senior Eric Roberson teamed together in the No. 1 doubles match to defeat MSU’s Fletcher Keyes and Kyle McDonald with a score of 8-3. In the No. 2 doubles match, sophomore Blake Boswell and senior Piotr Dilaj defeated Justin Hauck and Pawell Turzanski of Montana State, 8-2. In the third doubles match, junior Steve Robertson and senior Brent Werbeck nearly swept MSU’s Estaban Ferrero and Myles Perkins, winning 8-1.
In singles play, Koenke made quick work of his opponent, Perkins, winning the No. 6 singles, 6-0, 6-1. Finishing shortly after with a 6-1, 6-1 score, No. 65 ranked Roberson topped Hauck in the No. 4 singles match. In the No. 5 singles match, Boswell defeated Ferrero (6-4, 6-1), while No. 69 ranked Werbeck blew past Turzanski (6-2, 6-3) in the No. 3 singles. Also playing a quick match, Dilaj was the victor over Keyes in the No. 2 singles match, winning 6-2, 6-2.
In the only match of the dual to go to three sets, MSU’s McDonald took an early lead winning the first set, however Robertson made a convincing comeback, winning 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 to seal BSU’s undefeated season opener.
In their second dual of the day, the Broncos were again able to sweep the doubles competitions. Koenke and Roberson defeated Jakob Apslund and Jonas Tyden while Boswell and Dilaj topped Oscar Ericsson and Fernando Gallegos, both with scores of 8-3. In the No. 3 doubles, Robertson and Werbeck swept Michael Banks and Matt Searle with a score of 8-0.
In singles play, Robertson fought out a tough battle in the No. 1 match, defeating Apslund 6-3, 3-6, 11-9. Werbeck fought through a tiebreak with Ericsson winning 6-4, 7-6 (5) while Roberson topped Gallegos with a solid 6-1, 6-1 win in the No. 3 singles match. Boswell played the No. 4 singles match for the Broncos defeating Tyden 6-2, 6-0 while Koenke match Boswell’s score in defeating USU’s Banks in the No. 5 singles match. The Broncos’ only loss of the day came in the No. 6 singles match where USU’s Searle was able to defeat BSU senior Jamaal Hepburn, 6-3, 7-5.
With the pair of dual wins and a 2-0 record, the Broncos head into the Mountain Regional Playoff on Saturday. BSU will host the Mountain Regional Playoffs at the
BSU DUAL AGATE:
#22 Boise State University def. Montana State University, 7-0
1. Paul Koenke/Eric Roberson (BSU) def. Fletcher Keyes/Kyle McDonald(MSU) 8-3
2. Blake Boswell /Piotr Dilaj (BSU) Def.Justin Hauck/Pawell Turzanski (MSU) 8-2
3. Steve Robertson/Brent Werbeck (BSU) def. Estaban Ferrero/Myles Perkins (MSU) 8-1
1. Steve Robertson def. Kyle McDonald 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Piotr Dilaj def. Fletcher Keyes 6-2, 6-2
3. Brent Werbeck (#69) def. Pawell Turzanski 6-2, 6-3
4. Eric Roberson (#65) def. Justin Hauck 6-1, 6-1
5. Blake Boswell def. Estaban Ferrero 6-4, 6-1
6. Paul Koenke def. Myles Perkins 6-0, 6-1
#22 Boise State University def. Utah State University, 6-1
1. Paul Koenke/Eric Roberson (#41) (BSU) def. Jakob Apslund/Jonas Tyden(USU), 8-3
2. Blake Boswell/Piotr Dilaj (BSU) def. Oscar Ericsson/Fernando Gallegos(USU), 8-3
3. Steve Robertson/Brent Werbeck (BSU) def. Michael Banks/Matt Searle(USU), 8-0
1. Steve Robertson (BSU) def. Jakob Apslund (USU), 6-3, 3-6, 11-9
2. Brent Werbeck (#69) (BSU) def. Oscar Ericsson (USU), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
3. Eric Roberson (#65) (BSU) def. Fernando Gallegos (USU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Blake Boswell (BSU) def. Jonas Tyden (USU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Paul Koenke (BSU) def. Michael Banks (USU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Matt Searle (USU) def. Jamaal Hepburn (BSU), 6-3, 7-5