Abe Hewko is one of three Broncos to reach quarterfinals in singles.
Oct. 2, 2015
Tournament Draw Through Friday
BOISE, Idaho (10/2/2015) - Boise State’s men’s tennis team continued to shine on Friday as the Broncos advanced three singles players and both doubles teams into Saturday’s quarterfinals of the Dar Walters Boise State Fall Classic. Brian Foley, Abe Hewko and Thomas Tenreiro all went 2-0 in singles Friday to reach tomorrow’s quarterfinals starting at 9 a.m. The doubles teams of Foley/Danny Moyer and Hewko/Tenreiro both won their round of 16 matches Friday to move into the quarterfinals on Saturday at 3 p.m. All of the Boise State matches will be played at the Appleton Tennis Center on campus.
The day opened with Tenreiro playing first in the round of 32 versus Stefan Cooper of Weber State. The Boise State senior easily put away Cooper winning in straight sets 6-1, 6-3. In the next match during the round of 16 Tenreiro swept Peter Minagh-Fleming from Montana 6-1, 7-6(5). He has reached Saturday’s quarterfinals where he will face Army’s Sam Lampman at 9 a.m.
Brian Foley swept both matches Friday as well defeating Lewis-Clark State’s Yonas Woldetsakic in two sets 6-3, 6-2, followed by a dominating 6-1, 6-3 win over Utah State’s Andrew Nakajima in the round of 16. In tomorrow’s quarterfinals Foley will take on Utah State’s Sam Serrano at 9 a.m.
Abe Hewko began his day against Army’s Kyle Barnes in the round of 32. Hewko rallied from one set down to defeat Barnes 4-6, 6-4, 6-2. Later in the afternoon Hewko was forced to rally once again after losing the opening set. This time he responded with an impressive pair of 6-1 sets to dispatch Utah State’s Javier Araya 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 to advance into the quarterfinals. Saturday the junior from Palm Desert, Calif., will face Jaime Barajas from Utah State at 9 a.m.
Sophomore Danny Moyer competed Friday morning in the consolation round of 32 where he took on Montana’s Tomasz Soltyka. Moyer battled hard against the Grizzly but came up on the short end of a 6-4, 6-4 score.
There was one round of doubles action on Friday, the tournament’s round of 16. Foley and Moyer were the first Bronco tandem on court to compete taking on Montana’s Semion Branzberg and Alexander Canellopoulos. The Boise State duo tallied a 6-4 victory to reach the quarterfinals on Saturday where they will meet Air Force’s pair of Lucas Fumagali and Max Olson at 3 p.m.
The Boise State team of Tenreiro and Hewko went on court later. The duo wasted little time in dismantling Weber State’s Stefan Cooper and Todd Fought 6-0. Tenreiro and Hewko will face Utah State’s tandem of Jaime Barajas and Jack Swindells at 3 p.m. in Saturday’s quarterfinals.
Dar Walters Boise State Fall Classic
Oct. 2, 2015 at Boise, Idaho
Boise State University (Appleton Tennis Center)
Boise State Results
Thursday, Oct. 1
64. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Will Cochrane (Portland State), 6-4, 6-1
64. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Tom Witteveen (Montana), 6-4, 6-2
64. Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Anirudh Satishchandra (Montana), 6-0, 6-4
64. Luis Lopez (Utah State) def. Dan Moyer (BSU), 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-3
Friday, Oct. 2
32. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Yonas Woldetsakic (Lewis-Clark State), 6-3, 6-2
16. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Andrew Nakajima (Utah State), 6-1, 6-3
32. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Stefan Cooper (Weber State), 6-1, 6-3
16. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Peter Minagh-Fleming (Montana), 6-1, 7-6(5)
32. Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Kyle Barnes (Army), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
16. Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Javier Araya (Utah State), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
C32. Tomasz Soltyka (Montana) def. Dan Moyer (BSU), 6-4, 6-4
Thursday, Oct. 1
32. Foley/Moyer (BSU) def. Dylan Ihmels/Sam Serrano (Utah State), 6-4
32. Hewko/Tenreiro (BSU) def. Harrison McCormick/Grant Reiechmann (Army), 7-5
Friday, Oct. 2
16. Foley/Moyer (BSU) def. Semion Branzberg/Alexander Canellopoulos (Montana), 6-4
16. Hewko/Tenreiro (BSU) def. Stefan Cooper/Todd Fought (Weber State), 6-0