April 5, 2015
BOISE, Idaho (4-5-2015) - Boise State men's tennis completed a Easter Sunday sweep recording two shutout victories over Lewis-Clark State and Air Force in Boise. It turned out to be a dominating day for the Broncos who opened with a 7-0 win over LCSC at the Boas Indoor Tennis Center and ended it with a 7-0 victory over Mountain West member Air Force at the Appleton Tennis Center in the afternoon. Boise State improved to 9-14 overall with the wins and 2-2 in league play.
"This is the way we like to celebrate Easter with two 7-0 wins," said coach Greg Patton. "We just let it happen today instead of making it bigger than it should be. We have placed to much stress on ourselves in matches lately and today we just went out there and let it happen. They stayed calm and emotionally centered, and played hard. We have four matches left in the regular season to get ready for the Mountain West Tournament, that is our goal."
The Broncos continue to be led by senior Garrett Patton who has won five consecutive singles matches and 10 of his last 13 to improve to 18-9 overall and 9-2 in duals on court one. The Boise native swept both singles matches Sunday 6-3, 6-2 against his LCSC opponent and 6-3, 6-3 versus Air Force's top player Grant Taylor. He also teamed up with Abe Hewko to sweep both doubles matches winning 6-3 on court one against the Warriors and 6-3 on court two in the second match versus the Falcons.
Thomas Tenreiro completed his sweep on court two winning both contests easily 6-1, 6-2 and 6-2, 6-1. His victory against LCSC's Zhanbolat Zhakupov clinched the team victory for the Broncos.
Toby Mitchell played only one singles match, that coming at No. 3 against the Air Force Falcons in the afternoon. Mitchell defeated Lucas Fumagalli 6-2, 7-6 (7-5) to complete the sweep for Boise State. Mitchell and Brian Foley won both doubles contests on the day winning 6-1 on court two versus LCSC and 6-4 on court three to clinch the doubles point against Air Force.
Brian Foley won both singles matches he played defeating LSCS's Jeff Su 7-6(5), 6-1 on court three in the morning followed by a 6-2, 6-2 win on court four against Air Force's Max Olson. Foley's win clinched the team victory against Air Force.
Abe Hewko improved to 15-13 overall in singles with his sweep on Sunday. He opened with a 6-0, 6-3 win against LCSC on court four, then followed with a 6-4, 6-4 win on court five against the Falcons.
Lewis Roskilly won 6-0, 6-2 on court five against Lewis-Clark State, then followed that up with a 6-1, 6-4 win on court six against the Falcons. Danny Moyer played No. 6 singles against LCSC winning 6-4, 6-4 to notch his fourth win of the season. Roskilly and Moyer also teamed up on court three in the morning against the Warriors where they won 6-2.
The Sunday sweep wrapped up a nine-match homestand for the Broncos who hit the rood next weekend for Fresno State and Nevada.
Lewis-Clark State (3-9) at Boise State (8-14)
April 5, 2015 at Boise, Idaho (Boas Indoor Tennis Center)
Boise State def. Lewis-Clark State 7-0
1. Abe Hewko/Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Jeff Su/Yonas Woldetsadik (LCSC) 6-3
2. Brian Foley/Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Sonam Phuntsok/Zhanbolat Zhakupov (LCSC) 6-1
3. Danny Moyer/Lewis Roskilly (BSU) def. Andres Bustani/Anthony Croteau (LCSC) 6-2
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Yonas Woldetsadik (LCSC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Zhanbolat Zhakupov (LCSC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Jeff Su (LCSC) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
4. Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Andres Bustani (LCSC) 6-0, 6-3
5. Lewis Roskilly (BSU) def. Sonam Phuntsok (LCSC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Danny Moyer (BSU) def. Tony Chin (LCSC) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 4,5,2,1,3,6
Air Force (10-8, 0-4 MW) at Boise State (9-14, 2-2 MW)
April 5, 2015 at Boise, Idaho (Appleton Tennis Center)
Boise State def. Air Force 7-0
1. Lucas Fumagalli/Grant Taylor (AFA) def. Lewis Roskilly/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) 6-3
2. Garrett Patton/Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Max Olson/Andrew Parks (AFA) 6-3
3. Brian Foley/Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Nicholas Carpenter/Jack McCullers (AFA) 6-4
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Grant Taylor (AFA) 6-3, 6-3
2. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Jack McCullers (AFA) 6-2, 6-1
3. Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Lucas Fumagalli (AFA) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
4. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Max Olson (AFA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Andrew Parks (AFA) 6-4, 6-4
6. Lewis Roskilly (BSU) def. Nicholas Carpenter (AFA) 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 1,2,4,6,5,3