Boise State Splits Two on Saturday
Feb. 28, 2015
BOISE, Idaho (2-28-2015) - Boise State men's tennis split a pair of matches at home Saturday falling 4-3 in a heartbreaker to Penn before regrouping to defeat BYU 4-1. Boise State lost to No. 44 Penn on the last match of the day in a 14-12 third set tiebreaker after the Broncos held a 3-2 lead in the team score. Saturday night the Broncos took on regional rival BYU winning the doubles point and three singles matches handing the Cougars a decisive 4-1 loss as Boise State improved to 5-8 overall after going 2-1 on the home opening weekend.
Sophomore Abe Hewko was they only Bronco to win both singles matches Saturday to improve to 11-9 overall and 6-5 in duals this spring. Meanwhile, the doubles team of Thomas Tenreiro and Lewis Roskilly swept their matches to improve to 9-1 overall. The Broncos will head to San Diego, Calif., for the Pacific Coast Doubles Championship and a Mountain West match at San Diego State next weekend.
Penn Match Recap
Boise State began the Penn match Friday night when the two teams met for the doubles point. The 44th-ranked Quakers earned the vital team point by winning two of the contests. Jeremy Court and Nicholai Westergaard opened things with a 6-2 victory on court one over Garrett Patton and Toby Mitchell.
Boise State's Roskilly and Tenreiro evened things up with a hard earned 7-6 (2) victory at No. 2 doubles over Penn's Matt Nardella and Marshall Sharp. The decisive point came on court three where Brian Foley and Abe Hewko lost 6-3 to the Quakers Vim De Alwis and Blaine Willenborg.
Singles were played Saturday morning with it going down to the final match and a third set tiebreaker that went to 14-12 before Penn won to complete a rally from 3-2 down.
The Broncos tied the score when Abe Hewko put away Westergaard in two sets 7-5, 6-1. Penn regained the advantage following Willenborg's win on court five against Boise State's Roskilly 6-0, 7-6.
Boise State then claimed back-to-back wins on courts two and three to take a 3-2 edge in the team score. Tenreiro downed Court on a second set tiebreaker 6-2, 7-6 (4) to tie the match. Then Mitchell defeated Nardella on court three in three sets 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 for the one-point 3-2 advantage.
The final two matches came down to third sets. Foley won the first set before dropping the final two as Penn rallied with Josh Pompan's 4-6, 6-0, 6-4 on court four.
The decisive match came down to Garrett Patton's contest on court one. Patton battled Penn's De Alwis to a third set tiebreaker and had four set points, before the Quaker rallied to win 7-6 (1), 3-6, 7-6 (12) to claim the team victory for Penn.
BYU Match Recap
Boise State claimed the doubles point to get the night rolling at the Boise Racquet and Swim Club taking two of the three matches. The Cougars took the early lead with a 6-3 win at No. 1 doubles over Patton and Mitchell. The Broncos began to rally for the team point with a 6-3 win on court two where Tenreiro and Roskilly defeated David Ball and Jacob Sullivan. The deciding victory was No. 3 doubles as Foley and Hewko recorded a 6-3 win for the team point.
The Broncos jumped out to a 3-0 lead early as Hewko quickly put away the Cougars' Jaun Canales in straight sets 6-2, 6-3 to make it 2-0 Boise State. Not long after, Foley defeated Jeremy Bourgeois 6-2, 6-4 to spot the Broncos 3-0 advantage.
BYU earned a team point on court three where Shane Monroe tallied a 7-5, 6-3 win over Boise State's Mitchell. The match clinching victory came off the racquet of freshman Lewis Roskilly who won in two sets on court five versus BYU's Carrazedo 6-4, 7-5.
Once the match was clinch the remaining two contests were abandoned.
No. 44 Penn (9-1) at No. 72 Boise State (4-8)
Feb. 28, 2015 at Boise, Idaho (Boas Indoor Tennis Center)
Penn def. Boise State 4-3
1. Jeremy Court/Nicholai Westergaard (PENN) def. Toby Mitchell/Garrett Patton (BSU) 6-2
2. Lewis Roskilly/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Matt Nardella/Marshall Sharp (PENN) 7-6 (7-2)
3. Vim De Alwis/Blaine Willenborg (PENN) def. Brian Foley/Abe Hewko (BSU) 6-3
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Vim De Alwis (PENN) def. Garrett Patton (BSU) 7-6 (7-1), 3-6, 7-6 (14-12)
2. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Jeremy Court (PENN) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Matt Nardella (PENN) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
4. Josh Pompan (PENN) def. Brian Foley (BSU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
5. Blaine Willenborg (PENN) def. Lewis Roskilly (BSU) 6-0, 7-6
6. Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Nicholai Westergaard (PENN) 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 6,5,2,3,4,1
Brigham Young (7-7) at No. 72 Boise State (5-8)
Feb. 28, 2015 at Boise, Idaho (Boise Racquet and Swim Club)
Boise State def. Brigham Young 4-1
1. Andrey Goryachkov/Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Toby Mitchell/Garrett Patton (BSU) 6-3
2. Lewis Roskilly/Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. David Ball/Jacob Sullivan (BYU) 6-3
3. Brian Foley/Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Jeremy Bourgeois/Shane Monroe (BYU) 6-3
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Garrett Patton (BSU) vs. Francis Sargeant (BYU) 4-6, 6-3, 0-2, unfinished
2. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) vs. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 1-6, 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
3. Shane Monroe (BYU) def. Toby Mitchell (BSU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Jeremy Bourgeois (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Lewis Roskilly (BSU) def. Aidan Carrazedo (BYU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Juan Canales (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 6,4,3,5
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- 2017 Ticket Info
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Buy/Sell Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
- Bronco Athletic Association
- BAA Home
- Bronco Luncheon Series
- Varsity B
- Boise State Hall of Fame
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE