Men's Tennis Falls to San Diego State
SAN DIEGO – The Boise State men’s tennis team was defeated, 5-2 by No. 70 San Diego State in Mountain West action, Saturday.
The Broncos (3-7, 1-1 MW) once again won the doubles point, marking the sixth time they have done so this season. Patton/Sears continue to thrive as Boise State’s No. 2 team as they defeated Siddiqui/Khachatryan, 8-5. The duo is now 8-1 this season.
In the deciding match, Mitchell/Pogostkin won on court three to secure the point for the Broncos. Only a break separated the two from Simon/Sangwan, but the Broncos ended up on the winning end of an 8-6 decision.
Freshman Thomas Tenreiro gave the Broncos their second and final point of the match with a straight-set victory over Juan Florez at No. 5 singles, 6-1, 7-5. Tenreiro has primarily split time between the fifth and sixth spots in the lineup this season, but is a perfect 3-0 when playing at No. 5, helping his season mark which is now 6-3.
“We have a lot of young guys playing for us right now and I think they can grow from this playing experience and I think it will pay off later this season,” said head coach Greg Patton.
The loss is the first regular-season conference loss since April 22, 2011, when the Broncos fell 4-2 against New Mexico State.
Boise State will return home, where it holds a 21-match win streak, for a pair of matches, Saturday March 2 against Utah (11 a.m.) and Gonzaga (6 p.m.).
No. 70 San Diego State 5, No. 39 Boise State 2
1. #104 Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) def. #27 Andrew Bettles (BSU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 7-6 (3-0), 6-4
3. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) def. Scott Sears (BSU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Marvin Tawasi (SDSU) def. Garrett Patton (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Juan Florez (SDSU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Andranik Khachatryan (SDSU) def. Toby Mitchell (BSU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 1, 5, 2, 6
1. Hunter Nicholas/Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) def. Andrew Bettles/Nathan Sereke (BSU) 8-2
2. Garrett Patton/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Derek Siddiqui/Andranik Khachatryan (SDSU) 8-5
3. Toby Mitchell/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Spencer Simon/Shiva Sangwan (SDSU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- 2017 Ticket Info
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Buy/Sell Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Group Tickets
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
- Bronco Athletic Association
- BAA Home
- Bronco Luncheon Series
- Varsity B
- Boise State Hall of Fame
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE