SEATTLE - The No. 38 Boise State men's tennis team came up just short in a 4-3 defeat against No. 36 Santa Clara, Saturday.
The Broncos showed promise early by winning all three of the doubles matches to take an early 1-0 lead. Both Bettles/Sereke and Patton/Sears won at the top two spots in impressive fashion by a score of 8-3. Mitchell/Pogostkin completed the sweep with an 8-4 win as the No. 3 doubles team.
In singles play, Andrew Bettles returned to his winning ways with a vengeance, defeating John Lamble in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. The Broncos' top player is now 2-3 through a tough early schedule.
Santa Clara would even the score at two apiece with wins on court two and court five but Filipp Pogostkin would put the Broncos one point closer by earning a win against Tom Pham at the No. 5 position. Pogostkin left no room to spare, winning the first set in tiebreakers and clinching the second set, 7-5.
That would be the last win for the Broncos as Santa Clara took care of business at Nos. 3 and 6. Scott Sears took Matt Kecki to a third set on court three but came up short in the finale, going down, 7-6, 1-6, 6-3.
Freshman Thomas Tenreiro won his first set against Tomas Soltyka at the anchor position 6-4 but Soltyka rallied in the next to sets, 7-5 and 6-4. It was the first loss of the newcomer's career as the Miami native is now 4-1.
"This match was the epitome of a thriller movie like Argo, except our ending had the Americans getting captured as they tried to escape," said head coach Greg Patton.
The Broncos will be back in action, Sunday when they stay in Seattle to face No. 23 Washington. The match will mark the fourth-straight against a top-40 opponent.
No. 36 Santa Clara 4, No. 38 Boise State 3
1) Nathan Sereke/Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. Ilya Osintev/John Lamble 8-3
2) Garrett Patton/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Matt Kecki/Tom Pham 8-3
3) Toby Mitchell/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Ashot Kacharyan/Eugene Muchynski 8-4
1) Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. John Lamble, 6-3,6-2
2) Ilya Osinsev (SCU) def. Nathan Sereke, 6-3, 7-6
3) Matt Kecki (SCU) def. Scott Sears, 7-6, 1-6, 6-3)
4) Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Tom Pham 7-6,7-5
5) Ashot Khacharyan (SCU) def. Garrett Patton, 6-2,6-4
6) Tomas Soltyka (SCU) def.Thomas Tenreiro, 4-6,7-5,6-4