Senior Vinny Perretta is from the San Diego area (Encinitas). So who better than him to offer some ideas on what to do while in San Diego for the Poinsettia Bowl.
Vinny’s Tips on What to Do and Eat in San Diego
What To Do:
1. Hotel Del Coronado-This famous hotel is real pretty in the winter. During the holidays they have a huge Christmas tree in the hotel. It is decorated and is something that me and my family go to see every year. Also, last year, they had an outdoor skating rink, which was located right on the beach in front of the hotel. It is something cool to do with the family.
2. Sea World and the San Diego Zoo-There are the obvious. Growing up as a kid, this was defiantly the thing to do. They are both world famous.
3. Fashion Valley Mall-This outdoor mall is huge. It has almost ever store that you could think of. Great Christmas shopping.
4. The Gaslamp Quarter-This is the place to go while in San Diego city at night. Many Clubs, bars, restaurants, etc.
5. Mission Beach and Pacific Beach-A fun place to hang out for the younger crowd. Whether it’s going to the beach in the daytime or experiencing the young, crazy nightlife.
6. Little Italy-Great restaurants and a cultural atmosphere.
7. Lego Land-It is up by my house in North County so if you are staying downtown, it will take about twenty minutes to get there. Awesome amusement park. The kids would like it.
8. Others-Bike riding around Coronado Island or the board walk of Pacific Beach and La Jolla, playing golf at Torrey Pines or La Costa Resort and Spa, San Diego Charger game (I think they play the 28th, if anybody is still in town), going to the beach either to swim, surf, or body board (water will be cold, so maybe a walk or run down the beach will be better). USS Midway Museum, Deep Sea fishing, the Hornblower cruise that takes you around the San Diego Bay (great views). Whale Watching Tour. Watch the sun set into the ocean.
Where To Eat:
1. Buca Di Beppo-My favorite Italian restaurant of all time. Don’t go if you want a snack. They feed you large proportions and it is some of the best Italian food you will have in the U.S.
2. In & Out Burger-A fast food chain which can only be found in the Southwest. It is the best food there is.
3. Mexican Food-There is just too many good restaurants to list. I guarantee you that there is no such thing as BAD Mexican food in San Diego. Just find some and you will know what I mean!
4. Peohe’s-A romantic dinner located on Coronado Island, just 10 minutes away from downtown. It overlooks the bay and the downtown skyline. It’s awesome!