Broncos Drop Tough Contest to No. 24 Nevada
Feb. 14, 2018

Final Stats

Box Score Get Acrobat Reader | Postgame Quotes Get Acrobat Reader | Postgame Notes Get Acrobat Reader

BOISE, Idaho -- In a back-and-forth contest that featured 14 lead changes, Boise State men's basketball fell 77-72 to visiting No. 24 Nevada on Wednesday evening at Taco Bell Arena.

The Broncos (20-6, 10-4 Mountain West) had a tough shooting day, shooting just 40 percent overall (28-for-70) and 19.2 percent from behind the arc (5-for-26). They were led by Lexus Williams and Chris Sengfelder, who had 15 and 14 points, respectively, while Sengfelder collected a double-double with 10 rebounds. Chandler Hutchison also had a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds. Justinian Jessup led the Broncos from behind the arc, 3-for-8 with 12 points.

For the Wolf Pack (22-5, 11-2 Mountain West), Kendall Stephens and Caleb Martin led the way, with 21 points apiece as the team shot 48.3 percent from the field (28-for-58) and 43.8 percent from behind the arc (7-for-16).

Sengfelder was cleaning up in the early goings of the first half, with five offensive rebounds and eight points in the first eight minutes of play.

The Broncos opened up a 22-16 lead with 10 minutes left to play in the first half, and then pushed that lead to 25-18 lead with 9:25 to go.

Three-straight three-pointers by the Wolf Pack, two from Stephens and one from Jordan Caroline made it a tie ballgame, 27-27 with 7:12 to go.

The momentum changed from that point, as a steal by Caleb Martin and a foul by Marcus Dickinson gave the Wolf Pack's Martin two free-throws. He nailed both to give them a 29-27 lead.

The Broncos went cold, not scoring for nearly three minutes as a jumper by Lindsey Drew and a dunk by Caleb Martin, a part of a 9-0 Wolfpack run gave them a 33-27 lead, their largest lead of the first half. Williams broke the scoring drought for the Broncos as he came through with a layup with 3:45 left in the first half to pull the Broncos within four, 33-29.

At the half the Broncos trailed Nevada by three, 37-34. The scoring was balanced, with six different scorers and no one in double figures. Sengfelder led the way with eight points on 3-for-7 shooting with six rebounds, five of those offensive. Hutchison was next with seven points and Jessup had six. The Broncos shot just 40 percent from the field.

The Wolf Pack were led by Stephens with 12 points and Caleb Martin with 10 and shot 45.2 percent from the field.

The Broncos took a quick lead in the first four minutes of the second half, jumping out to a 48-44 lead on a jumper by Hutchison. However, the Wolf Pack went on a 14-6 run to pull ahead by four with 10:07 to go in the game.

From there the Broncos started a run of their own, as Jessup hit a three-pointer with 9:55 to go to pull the Broncos within one. Two free-throws by Hutchison put the Broncos back up by one with 8:17 to go. The Broncos then went on a 7-3 run over the next 34 seconds to pull ahead by three, but in the back-and-forth contest, Hall hit a jumper with 6:53 to go to pull the Wolf Pack within one, 64-63.

With the game tied 66-66 and 6:12 to go in the game Lexus Williams with the three-point play on a layup and he completed the and-one to push the Bronco lead to three, 69-69.

However, back-to-back buckets put Nevada back on top, 70-69 at the final media timeout, with 3:12 left to play. Coming out to the media timeout, a layup by Martin pushed the Wolf Pack lead to 72-69, but not for long, as less than 30 seconds later Jessup came through with a huge three-pointer to tie the ballgame up, 72-72.

With a minute left and coming out of a timeout, the Wolf Pack had the ball and Hutchison came up with a huge block, but Caroline was fouled coming down with the rebound and drained both free-throws to make it 74-72 Wolf Pack.

On the other end, Hutchison missed a floater, but Sengfelder came up with a big rebound and dished if off to Hutchison for three, but he missed the shot. The Broncos went cold to end the game, not scoring in the final 2:05 of the game. The Broncos fouled, sending Martin to the line for two. He made both and it was a four-point game with 10 seconds left in the game.

The Broncos were unable to get the inbounds play in, turning the ball back over to the Wolf Pack. Stephens went to the line for two after being fouled with 7.8 seconds and made one-of-two, making it a five-point Wolf Pack lead, 77-72, that would end up holding up through the final buzzer.

The Broncos have now lost two-straight and will remain at home this weekend, hosting Air Force on Saturday, Feb. 17 at 12 p.m. MT at Taco Bell Arena.

» «